Master of Arts Degrees in Theatre
Master of Arts in Theatre
Our MA in Theatre degree provides the practical and academic training you’ll need to achieve your professional goals. Pursue your passion through acting/directing, design/production, or literary criticism.
Successful completion of a professional paper is required for the Master of Arts degree. Your paper may be creative, scholarly, or a creative/scholarly hybrid, and must meet professional standards. Projects may be selected from such focus areas as directing, acting, stage management, playwriting, design, theatre history, or criticism.
Online-Hybrid Master of Arts in Theatre
Are you a Texas resident who, for financial and/or family reasons, must continue to work while you earn college credit? If so, our flexible online-hybrid program might be the educational opportunity you've been seeking.
At least half of the degree will be offered online with some courses presented in weekly evening sessions. Other courses will be a combination of a few class meetings (4-6) per semester plus online communication. Some courses will be completed online and others through independent study with a faculty member.
Classes will be offered in the Redbud Theater Complex at the Denton campus and online. Since this degree program is not 100% online, it is not designed for residents who live outside of the North Texas region.
The TWU Master of Arts degree plan requires 36 credit hours for successful completion. The typical time frame is 2 years and our course rotation is set up to achieve that. Online students with busy work schedules should anticipate a longer time frame for completion.
Programs of study for our graduate degrees
Course rotation and Student Handbook
Admission requirements to the M.A. in Theatre
Noah Lelek, Ph.D.
Fall – July 31
Spring – November 30
Summer – April 30
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Collect and submit the following documents as separate pdf files to be uploaded into your application:
- Letter of intent
- Sample of academic writing
- Resume or CV
- Complete an audition and/or design portfolio on YouTube, Vimeo, or website link to video portfolio that demonstrates your work including a performance. Include the password if password protected. (Optional)
- Complete an interview. Qualified applicants will be contacted by the theatre department to schedule an interview.
Begin by reviewing your program's website to see if there are additional admission requirements and application deadlines prior to applying.
- Apply online.
Apply to Graduate Programs via the TWU Online Graduate Application Portal following instructions below.
- Submit transcripts to TWU.
- Domestic Applicants must submit official transcripts for each college or university attended, both undergraduate and graduate. See the Information on Transcripts website for more details.
- International Applicants are now required to provide an evaluation prepared by a NACES or AICE member evaluation service. International transcripts should not be sent directly to TWU. See the International Admissions website for more details.
- Submit Recommendation Requests
If your program requires you to submit names for recommendations you will need to do it in the application.
- Pay the application fee.
The $50 fee ($75 fee for International applicants), which applies to all new and returning applicants, can be paid by:
- Credit card - Pay Online through the application as the last step before submitting the application. The second portion of the application will not be available until the application fee has been received.
- Certified check or money order by mail or electronically - Payable to TWU, sent by mail to:
TWU Admissions Processing, 304 Administration Drive, Suite 102, Denton, Texas 76204
(include your full name and ID number).
- Cash (no personal checks) - Pay at the Bursar's Office. After paying, bring the receipt to Admissions Processing (down the hall in ACT).
- Fee Waivers - Graduate applicants who are certified McNair Scholars are eligible for a McNair Scholar Application Fee Waiver. TWU Alumni may be eligible for the Alumni Advantage Fee Waiver. Check your eligibility here: https://twu.edu/alumni-advantage/. If eligible submit the request using the Application Fee Waiver Submission
- Following fee payment return to the application dashboard where supplemental application documents can be uploaded. The online application will list which documents are needed to fulfill the program admission requirements. You can also check the program's website.
For more information or assistance with the application or graduate admissions, visit the Graduate Admissions website.
Students who wish to apply for a Graduate Assistantship must meet the General Criteria for Appointment of Graduate Assistants.
Page last updated 4:03 PM, February 23, 2024