Accelerated BS/PSM Program
Your gateway to a fantastic career in the biological sciences
Earn your bachelor of science and your professional science master’s degree in as little as five years with our accelerated BS/PSM program.
Our accelerated BS in Biology/PSM in Biotechnology offers exceptional students the opportunity to earn a bachelor’s degree and a professional science master’s degree in as little as five years. Accelerated BS/PSM students complete four graduate courses during their final year as an undergraduate, enabling them to finish the PSM in as little as a year once they are admitted to graduate school.
When you apply to TWU, we will evaluate your academic achievement and preparation, as well as your standardized test scores. Admission to TWU is valid for four terms, unless you have attended another higher education institution.
Check out the links below for specific admissions information:
- How to apply
- Freshman Student Admissions
- Transfer Student Admissions
- International Student Admissions
- Other Types of Undergraduate Admissions
Questions about the admissions process? Contact the Office of Admissions Processing.
Admission to the Accelerated BS in Biology/PSM in Biotechnology
All applicants must meet the general undergraduate admission requirements.
It is recommended that students interested in this path speak with their undergraduate advisor as early as their freshman year of study. Once admitted to the accelerated program students must meet with their undergraduate advisor each semester prior to registering for courses. During the final semester of undergraduate coursework, students should seek advising from the P.S.M. graduate advisor to discuss a graduate degree plan.
Stephanie A. Pierce, PhD
- Fall - June 1st
- Spring - October 1st
- No summer admissions
To apply to the Accelerated B.S. in Biology/P.S.M. in Biotechnology program, students must:
- Be currently enrolled in the B.S. in Biology program at TWU.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 at the time of application.
- Have successfully completed a minimum of 72 semester credit hours of coursework toward the B.S. in Biology.
Have a minimum of 12 semester credit hours (SCH) of electives remaining toward the B.S. Biology degree. Three SCH must be an upper-level general elective. The remaining nine credit hours can be upper-level general or biology electives.
How to Apply to the Accelerated Program
Students interested in applying to the Accelerated B.S. in Biology / P.S.M. in Biotechnology program are encouraged to contact the P.S.M. Program Coordinator prior to applying. Preference will be given to students who have started or intend to complete the Certified Quality Science Professional (CQSP) micro-credential program.
To apply, students must:
- Complete the Accelerated B.S. in Biology / P.S.M. in Biotechnology online application.
- Submit a statement of purpose and resume as PDF documents to the Program Coordinator. Send the documents in one email and include the student’s name and TWU I.D. number with “BS/PSM documents” in the subject line of the email.
- Request letters of recommendation from 2 academic references. Letters should be sent as PDFs on institutional letterhead directly to the Program Coordinator.
- Once admitted to the Accelerated Program students must apply to the graduate P.S.M. Program. Students cannot enroll in graduate-level coursework until accepted by the Graduate School.
Accelerated Graduate Program Policy Guidelines
Students may apply to the accelerated graduate degree program once they have attained advanced junior standing with at least 72 undergraduate semester credit hours (SCH). Upon admission to an accelerated program, students with senior standing (90 earned SCH) may enroll in graduate courses for credit. Approved courses will apply to both an undergraduate and a graduate degree.
- Undergraduate students may enroll in no more than 6 SCH of graduate coursework in each semester or term.
- Minimal criteria for admission will include a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. The program may set higher GPA requirements as outlined on their TWU graduate program website at the time of graduate application.
- Once admitted to an accelerated program, students must maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout the remainder of their baccalaureate degree, or their admission to the accelerated graduate program may be revoked. Academic components may set additional requirements for their programs.
Graduate Application Process
All students must meet the University requirements as outlined in the Admission to the TWU Graduate School section of the catalog.
This academic program may have additional graduate admission criteria that must also be completed as outlined on the graduate program's website.
Find out about scholarship opportunities especially for Biology students.
Learn more about our industry partnerships.
For more information about the accelerated BS/PSM, please contact the program director, Dr. Stephanie Pierce, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 940-898-2797.
Page last updated 12:22 PM, July 31, 2023