Living Learning Communities
Living Learning Communities (LLC) at Texas Woman’s University provide student learning opportunities outside of the classroom that strengthen student intellectual and personal growth. They are designed to integrate curricular and co-curricular experiences that complement and extend classroom learning by fostering faculty and resident interaction that enhances the intellectual and personal development of the residents.
The various communities are structured so that students have a high degree of involvement in the program. Most participants in LLC are enrolled in the same class(es) and all participate in social and academic groups while residing in Parliament Village. All courses offered in the LLC program are a part of the University's core curriculum.
Upper class students, who are alumna serve as the RAs (resident assistants) and ASAs (academic support assistants) for the communities, providing valuable resources and assistance to the residents in the community.
Benefits of Living Learning Communities
- Frequent interaction with faculty and university leaders
- Enhanced connection inside and outside of the classroom
- Access to academic support assistants and study hours
- Assistance in reaching academic goals
- Classroom learning extended to the residence hall
- A means to address social and academic concerns
- A network of friends
- Community spirit
- Participants tend to achieve higher grades and rate of retention
Participation Requirements of Living Learning Communities
- Enroll in required LLC courses during the fall and spring semester
- Participate in LLC retreat prior to the 1st day of classes
- Participate in weekly study hours organized by academic support assistants
- Participate in floor activities for social and educational enhancement
- Participate in UNIV 1231 out of class activities
- Attend LLC sponsored events during the fall and spring semesters
- Communicate completed community service hours to academic support assistant staff
- Attend the end of the year Awards and Recognition Ceremony
TWU’s first-year seminar, UNIV 1231, provides an opportunity for students to identify their individual learning styles, and to develop the skills necessary to learn and succeed in their academic program. The course emphasizes effective integration of learning style with academic skills, personal management and resource utilization.
UNIV 1231 is required for all first year students and some special student groups (Honors, LLC, etc.) who are transferring less than thirteen credit hours. Please note that for the purposes of this program; dual, IB, and AP credits do not count as exemptions for enrollment in UNIV 1231.
How To Apply
- You can apply to live in an on campus Living Learning Community by completing the Learning Community portion of the online housing application.
- If you plan to commute and would like to apply for an off campus learning community (for commuter students only) please complete the Commuter LLC Application and email it to the Department of University Housing & Dining or mail it to the address indicated below.
- Living Learning Community applications are due no later than, April 1st for the next academic year. Applications received after this date will be considered for placement into a Living Learning Community only in the event of a cancellation.
- Living Learning Community applicants are placed in a Living Learning Community prior to attending New Student Orientation. Applicants are encouraged to attend a June New Student Orientation.
- Living Learning Community residents will be placed in a designated LLC floor with others in the same LLC. LLC applicants must also be placed in the same LLC to honor roommate requests.
- For questions about the status of your application, contact the Department of University Housing & Dining at 940.898.3676.
If you have additional questions regarding the Living Learning Communities please contact:
Department of University Housing & Dining
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425380
Denton, TX 76204-5380
Page last updated 11:18 AM, August 28, 2020