Residency Requirement Information
All TWU full-time single undergraduates who have not completed 60 credit hours and will be under the age of 21 by the start of the semester are required to live in University residential communities unless one of the following exceptions apply:
- Living with parents or legal guardians within the commuting distance (40 miles)
- Active duty military or veterans of military service
- Legally married
- With children
Students who wish to be released from the residency requirement must apply for an exemption prior to the 12th class day of the semester. A Housing administrator will review requests for exemption and all decisions made shall be considered final.
Living with parents or legal guardians within the commuting distance (40 miles):
- Student residing with their parent or legal guardian within a 40 mile commutable radius of the campus will need to complete and submit a Certification of Living with Parent (CLPA) Form (pdf) for review.
- If approved, this document must be submitted each academic year until the student does not fall under the Residency Requirement guidelines.
All other requests for appeal:
- Students who fall under the residency requirement and are outside of the 40 mile commuting radius or who fall under different circumstances not applicable to the CLPA (including a financial hardship, medical hardship, or other hardship; married; with children; or current or former military) should complete the Request for Release from Residency Requirement (RFR) Form (pdf) and submit with supporting documents as listed on the RFR form.
University Housing & Dining will continue to offer affordable living based on classification.
Parliament Village: First Year students (under the age of 21)
Stark Hall: Sophomores (under the age of 21 with fewer than 60 credit hours)
Guinn Hall: Sophomores (under the age of 21 with fewer than 60 credit hours)
Lowry Woods Community: Students 21 years and older or having 60 credit hours or more; Family and Graduate Student Housing
If you have any additional questions please contact the Department of Housing & Dining at 940-898-3676.
Housing Exemption Request Submission Instructions
Instructions for submitting housing exemption request forms or to remove a housing hold preventing you from registering for classes:
- If you are on track to earn over 60 credits or will be 21 years of age or older before the start of the fall semester, please contact the Housing and Dining office via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you would like to request to be exempt from the residency requirement, are under 21 years of age and will not earn 60 credits by the start of the fall semester, please print, complete and sign either the CLPA or RFR form.
- Certification of Living with Parent (CLPA) Form
- Complete this form if you are living with your parent/legal guardian within a 40 mile commuting distance from campus.
- Request for Release from Residency Requirement (RFR) Form
- Complete this form for all other circumstances that you believe would allow you to be exempt from the housing requirement.
Page last updated 9:06 AM, March 25, 2021