Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Deaf and Hard of Hearing for the SLP
Are you interested in being a speech-language pathologist who works with students who are deaf and hard of hearing (DHH)? Enhance your degree with a certificate in Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
- Learn evidence-based practice for assessing and treating students who are DHH
- Small classes with accessible, knowledgeable and supportive faculty
- Combines with an MS in Speech-Language Pathology
- Includes practicum opportunities
- 100% online academic courses meet synchronously during evening hours
In this certificate program you will complete 12 semester credit hours, with:
- Nine semester credit hours (four classes) of academic coursework focused on evidence-based practice for SLPs working with children who are DHH
- Three semester credit hours (75 clock hours) of a clinical practicum experience assessing and treating children who are DHH under the supervision of an ASHA-certified SLP with experience in this area (NOTE: if you are already a licensed and certified SLP, you must secure an approved supervisor/mentor for this clinical experience.)
You must successfully pass a case study examination at the end of the program and earn grades of A or B in all classes.
A full list of courses and requirements are available in the course catalog.
Admission to the Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Deaf and Hard of Hearing for the SLP
Dr. Erika Armstrong
- Accepted to or currently enrolled in the TWU master’s of speech-language pathology program or a licensed and certified speech-language pathologist
- Sign language skills (intermediate or better) are required
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School, selecting the post-baccalaureate certificate in deaf and hard of hearing for the speech-language pathologist. (Note that this application process is only for currently licensed and certified speech-language pathologists. Students applying to the master’s degree program in speech-language pathology must follow that application procedure and may add the certificate once accepted into the degree program.)
- To complete the program application, applicants must first create their TWU Pioneer Portal account and log in to their TWU Google Drive account using their TWU email address and Pioneer Portal password.
- Complete the Application for the D/HH Certificate.
Admission to the TWU Graduate School
When you apply to the TWU Graduate School, we will evaluate your academic achievement and preparation, as well as your standardized test scores if required. All students must meet the University requirements as outlined in the Admissions to the TWU Graduate School. In addition, most graduate programs have additional admission requirements that must be completed. These requirements can be found on each graduate program website. After acceptance, you will need to begin your program within one year, unless a deferral has been approved by the program.
Check out the links below for specific admissions information:
For questions contact
Sarah Wainscott, PhD, CCC-A, CED
Page last updated 10:22 AM, October 14, 2022