The Department of Dance at Texas Woman’s University is dedicated to your development as an independent and proactive artist, scholar and leader. Our goal is to guide you in the discovery of your creative voice by providing uniquely challenging academic and performance opportunities at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral level.
As a nationally accredited and internationally renowned dance program, we provide a diverse community of students, including many first-generation students, the chance to pursue their dreams of a career in dance performance, education or another related field. TWU’s Department of Dance believes that every body can dance, and everybody can pursue a college degree.
TWU Dance in the Headlines
- Assistant professor Ilana Morgan is empowering students with dance at a juvenile detention center.
- Doctoral candidate Iquail Shaheed and his dance company, Dance Iquail, presented Black Swan Feb. 22-23 in Philadelphia. Shaheed has been hailed as “a perfect example of his generation of male dancers… Technically superb and artistically infallible.” Read more>>
- Dance doctoral student Anisha Rajesh was recently profiled by Voyage Houston.
- The TWU Community Dance Center offers an affordable, supportive environment for lifelong education.
- More stories >>
- Our undergraduate degrees include a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in dance and, for prospective educators, a Bachelor of Arts in dance with a 6-12 dance certification.
- We offer three options for graduate study: Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) and a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). TWU is one of only five universities in the nation to offer a Ph.D. in dance and one of only four universities in the state of Texas to offer an M.F.A. in dance.
Why Study Dance at TWU?
Our accomplished faculty are invested in your success as a student.
The TWU Department of Dance faculty are critically acclaimed professionals and widely published experts in the field of dance. Our faculty are devoted first and foremost to their role as mentors, committed to helping students like you navigate the ever-changing landscapes of contemporary dance and university life.
Our competitive degree programs will help you excel as a professional.
We were recently recognized as the best dance college in Texas for providing an outstanding educational experience at the undergraduate and graduate level. Our curriculum is designed to prepare you with a broad foundation of skills and knowledge that can be applied in a variety of professional settings. Also, with flexible study options like our low-residency format for doctoral students, our programs are particularly well-suited to those interested in earning a degree while maintaining a full-time career.
Our unparalleled performance opportunities will allow you to grow as an artist.
Texas Woman’s University is home to one of the most contemporary, progressive dance programs in the country. See for yourself:
Our alumni pursue engaging careers in education, arts administration, research, community outreach, dance therapy, performance and choreography. A degree in dance also lends itself to graduate studies and interdisciplinary career paths in a variety of non-traditional fields, including:
- Business administration
- Education Administration and Recruitment
- Leadership Development
- Physical Therapy
TWU offers a rigorous dance program, but it involves much more than producing people who can grace a stage. The program also teaches students everything that happens behind the scenes, along with enduring life lessons about taking advantage of opportunities, putting yourself out there and embracing risks to get ahead.
Page last updated 11:55 AM, April 30, 2019