Master of Fine Arts - MFA
Master of Fine Arts in Dance Program
Our master of fine arts in dance degree program will provide you with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed as a professional in the competitive field of contemporary dance. As you develop, implement and expand your artistic vision and goals, you will have many opportunities to engage critically while exploring innovative formats, venues and creative processes as a choreographer, performer, researcher, writer and leader.
Admission Requirements for the M.F.A. in Dance
Professor Jordan Fuchs
It is recommended that International Students complete the graduate school application and submit required materials for review and processing at least six to eight months before the deadline.
- Resume of dance, educational, and artistic experience.
- Statement of Interest and Objectives, (300-500 words) which includes your professional goals; your previous artistic, academic, and career experience related to those goals; and the importance of graduate study in the TWU Department of Dance MFA Program to the pursue of your professional goals.
- Please feel free to reference the TWU Department of Dance website for information on the MFA Program in Dance course work and on the Dance Department faculty and their research areas in your statement.
- Writing sample such as a research paper from an undergraduate or graduate dance theory course, description of workshops, publicity packet materials or other promotional materials.
- Email addresses for three individuals familiar with your teaching, academic, and/or artistic work, who can provide letters of recommendation to be requested through and submitted into the application.
- Participate in an interview, either in person or over the phone. Qualified applicants will be contacted by the Department of Dance Recruitment Coordinator to schedule an interview.
- All applicants must participate in a Dance Audition.
Applicants who choose to apply for a graduate assistantship in Dance should review the Graduate Assistantships Dance webpage and complete the Application for Graduate Assistantship and Teaching Expertise in Dance forms found on that page.
How to Apply
Begin by reviewing your program's website to see if there are additional admission requirements and application deadlines prior to applying.
- Apply online.
Apply to Graduate Programs via the TWU Online Graduate Application Portal following instructions below.
- Submit transcripts to TWU.
- Domestic Applicants must submit official transcripts for each college or university attended, both undergraduate and graduate. See the Information on Transcripts website for more details.
- International Applicants are now required to provide an evaluation prepared by a NACES or AICE member evaluation service. International transcripts should not be sent directly to TWU. See the International Admissions website for more details.
- Submit Recommendation Requests
If your program requires you to submit names for recommendations you will need to do it in the application.
- Pay the application fee.
The $50 fee ($75 fee for International applicants), which applies to all new and returning applicants, can be paid by:
- Credit card - Pay Online through the application as the last step before submitting the application. The second portion of the application will not be available until the application fee has been received.
- Certified check or money order by mail or electronically - Payable to TWU, sent by mail to:
TWU Admissions Processing, 304 Administration Drive, Suite 102, Denton, Texas 76204
(include your full name and ID number).
- Cash (no personal checks) - Pay at the Bursar's Office. After paying, bring the receipt to Admissions Processing (down the hall in ACT).
- Fee Waivers - Graduate applicants who are certified McNair Scholars are eligible for a McNair Scholar Application Fee Waiver. TWU Alumni may be eligible for the Alumni Advantage Fee Waiver. Check your eligibility here: https://twu.edu/alumni-advantage/. If eligible submit the request using the Application Fee Waiver Submission
- Following fee payment return to the application dashboard where supplemental application documents can be uploaded. The online application will list which documents are needed to fulfill the program admission requirements. You can also check the program's website.
For more information or assistance with the application or graduate admissions, visit the Graduate Admissions website.
Students who wish to apply for a Graduate Assistantship must meet the General Criteria for Appointment of Graduate Assistants.
Page last updated 3:06 PM, January 24, 2024