Master of Fine Arts, M.F.A.
Master of Fine Arts in Dance Program
Our master of fine arts in dance degree program will provide you with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed as a professional in the competitive field of contemporary dance. As you develop, implement and expand your artistic vision and goals, you will have many opportunities to engage critically while exploring innovative formats, venues and creative processes as a choreographer, performer, researcher, writer and leader.
Admission to the TWU Graduate School
Approval for admission to the Graduate School is required of all graduate students.
- Application for Admission
- General Requirements for Admission to the Graduate School
- International Students
- Types of Admission
- Nature of Admission
- Meningitis Policy
- Election of Graduate Work by Seniors of This University
- Election of Graduate Work by Students Who Are Not Seeking Degrees
- Health Requirements: Students in Health-related Majors
- Graduate Study by Faculty and Staff of Texas Woman's University
Graduate School admission does not imply admission to candidacy for an advanced degree. Candidacy will be granted only after a period of successful graduate work and after compliance with the conditions and course of study established by the University and its departments, schools, and colleges have been met.
The total enrollment of graduate students is limited. All applications to the Graduate School are subject to whatever provisions may limit the enrollment of graduate students. Admission is granted for not more than one academic year. Students who do not attend the University for four or more terms, including the term of admission, must reapply. Graduate students who have been enrolled, may stop out for a maximum of two years including the last semester of enrollment. If another institution is attended during the two year timeframe, the student must reapply.
Graduate students are subject to the general rules and regulations of the University and are expected to maintain the high standard of social and academic life of the University as well as the professional standards of their chosen field of study. Thus, graduate students are subject to all rules and regulations set forth in the Student Handbook, the Graduate Catalog, and the policy statements of the Graduate School and the academic components. All graduate students of Texas Woman’s University are expected to know and adhere to high standards of personal conduct and of academic integrity and scholarship. Any falsification, misrepresentation, or misapplication of information or research; any violation of professional or ethical standards; or any violation of the rules and regulations of the University may result in dismissal.
*Admission to the M.F.A. in Dance
Professor Jordan Fuchs
It is recommended that International Students complete the graduate school application and submit required materials for review and processing at least 6 to 8 months before the deadline.
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School.
- Applicants must email the following materials in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading "(Full Name) - M.F.A. Application Materials":
- Department of Dance Graduate Application Information Form
- Resume of dance, educational, and artistic experience.
- 300-500 word statement of interests and objectives which includes:
- an indication of your professional goals;
- previous artistic, academic, and career experience related to these goals; and
- the importance of graduate study in the pursuit of your professional goals.
- Writing sample (recommended) such as a research paper from an undergraduate or graduate dance theory course, description of workshops, publicity packet materials or other promotional materials.
- YouTube, Vimeo, or website link to a video portfolio of artistic work including performance and choreography excerpts and at least one full-length work choreographed by the applicant. Include the password if password protected.
- Have three letters of recommendation sent from people familiar with your teaching, academic, and/or artistic work. Recommenders must submit letters of recommendation as PDFs directly to email@example.com and should include the student name and "M.A. in Dance" in the subject line.
- Participate in an interview, either in person or over the phone. Qualified applicants will be contacted by the Department of Dance Recruitment Coordinator to schedule an interview.
- All applicants must participate in a Dance Audition.
Applicants who choose to apply for a Graduate Assistantship position should review the Graduate Assistantships page and complete the Application for Graduate Assistantship and Teaching Expertise in Dance forms found on that page.
Page last updated 2:05 PM, June 12, 2019