Master of Arts - M.A.
Master of Arts in Dance Program
Our master of arts in dance degree program will allow you to develop a broad knowledge of the discipline, its intersection of theory and practice, and its application in artistic, cultural, and educational contexts. If you are a student interested in educational and arts leadership, you may elect to address issues related to the role and significance of dance in education, the place of dance in society or the development of your own personal philosophies. If you are interested in research and writing, you may instead choose to emphasize coursework designed to develop the knowledge and research skills necessary to undertake independent research in your specialized areas of interest.
We also offer a NEW education concentration. This two year low-residency program emphasizes study and the research of teaching and learning practices for established and aspiring dance educators. In this program, students will expand their teaching strategies, advance their dance and education theoretical knowledge, and further develop their movement skills. Learn more >>
Perspective of the Professional in the Field of Dance Guiding the M.A. Program
The focus of this program is on qualitative research including ethnography, historical and cultural studies. Interdisciplinary work is encouraged and students have the option to include course work from other areas, including women's studies, rhetoric, visual arts, theater, marketing and music.
- To further develop an understanding of the nature of dance as an expression of human experience in diverse artistic, cultural and educational contexts.
- To develop an understanding of the relationship of action and reflection in dance choreography and performance, researching, writing, and pedagogy.
- To facilitate the pursuit of individual areas of interest relative to the student's professional goals.
Admission to the TWU Graduate School
When you apply to the TWU Graduate School, we will evaluate your academic achievement and preparation, as well as your standardized test scores if required. All students must meet the University requirements as outlined in the Admissions to the TWU Graduate School. In addition, most graduate programs have additional admission requirements that must be completed. These requirements can be found on each graduate program website. After acceptance, you will need to begin your program within one year, unless a deferral has been approved by the program.
Check out the links below for specific admissions information:
*Admission to the M.A. in Dance
Dr. Ilana Morgan
It is recommended that International Students complete the graduate school application and submit required materials for review and processing at least 6 to 8 months before the deadline.
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School.
- Applicants must email the following materials in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading "(Full Name) - M.A. Application Materials":
- Department of Dance Graduate Application form
- Resume of dance, educational, and artistic experience.
- 300-500 word statement of interests and objectives which includes:
- an indication of your professional goals;
- previous artistic, academic, and career experience related to these goals; and
- the importance of graduate study in the pursuit of your professional goals.
- Writing sample such as a research paper. Students applying for the 2-year M.A. Cohort with emphasis in education should submit a research paper about their pedagogy or educational philosophy in the classroom.
- YouTube or Vimeo link to a class or series of classes taught by the applicant. Include the password if password protected
- Have three letters of recommendation sent from people familiar with your teaching, academic, and/or artistic work. Recommenders must submit letters of recommendation as PDFs directly to email@example.com and should include the student name and "M.A. in Dance" in the subject line.
- Participate in an interview, either in person or over the phone. Qualified applicants will be contacted by the Department of Dance Recruitment Coordinator to schedule an interview.
- All applicants must participate in a Dance Audition.
Applicants who choose to apply for a Graduate Assistantship position should review the Graduate Assistantships page and complete the Application for Graduate Assistantship and Teaching Expertise in Dance forms found on that page.
Need More Information?
To inquire about the M.A. degree program, please contact our Program Coordinator, Dr. Ilana Morgan, or fill out the following form:
Page last updated 3:37 PM, September 18, 2019