M.A. in Dance with a Concentration in Education
This two year low-residency program emphasizes study and the research of teaching and learning practices for working dance professionals and aspiring dance educators. In this program, students will expand their teaching strategies, advance their dance and education theoretical knowledge, and further develop their movement skills. Dance educators in K-12 settings, community college and universities, community centers/organizations, dance outreach programs, dance studios, or other educational environments, are encouraged to apply.
This MA in Dance with a Concentration in Education features online coursework (17 credits) and low-residency coursework (19 credits) combining focused independent study with face-to-face workshops and intensives. Each year, during the fall and spring semesters, students will meet face-to-face for two weekends to collaborate and learn with fellow students. Additionally, in each of the two summers, students will enroll in a two-week dance practice summer workshop where they will study and reflect upon their artistic practice, bodily knowledge, and movement skills.
This MA in Dance with a Concentration in Education is a cohort program in which students are only admitted every other year. Students who choose this concentration will begin their studies in the fall of even years (e.g. 2018 or 2020). This program is open to Texas residents and non-Texas residents, and scholarships with in-state tuition are available for qualified applicants.
If you are interested in this concentration, please contact: Dr. Ilana Morgan at 940.898.2003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admission to the M.A. in Dance
Dr. Ilana Morgan
It is recommended that International Students complete the graduate school application and submit required materials for review and processing at least six to eight months before the deadline.
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School.
- Applicants must email the following materials in PDF format to email@example.com with the subject heading "(Full Name) - M.A. Application Materials":
- Department of Dance Graduate Application form
- Resume of dance, educational, and artistic experience.
- 300-500 word statement of interests and objectives which includes:
- an indication of your professional goals;
- previous artistic, academic, and career experience related to these goals; and
- the importance of graduate study in the pursuit of your professional goals.
- Writing sample such as a research paper. Students applying for the 2-year M.A. Cohort with emphasis in education should submit a research paper about their pedagogy or educational philosophy in the classroom.
- Students applying for the 2-year M.A. Cohort with an emphasis in education must submit a YouTube or Vimeo link to a class or series of classes taught by the applicant. Include the password if password protected.
- Have three letters of recommendation sent from people familiar with your teaching, academic, and/or artistic work. Recommenders must submit letters of recommendation as PDFs directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and should include the student name and "M.A. in Dance" in the subject line.
- Participate in an interview, either in person or over the phone. Qualified applicants will be contacted by the Department of Dance Recruitment Coordinator to schedule an interview.
- All applicants must participate in a Dance Audition.
Applicants who choose to apply for a Graduate Assistantship position should review the Graduate Assistantships Dance webpage and complete the Application for Graduate Assistantship and Teaching Expertise in Dance forms found on that page.
Scholarship Information for New Graduate Students
TWU Tuition Calculator
Page last updated 2:26 PM, March 17, 2021