Earn your master of science degree in chemistry at TWU.
We offer the MS degree in chemistry with research focuses in biochemistry, biophysical chemistry, organic chemistry and inorganic/materials chemistry. A course of study and research will be custom-designed by faculty committee to suit your individual research interests and career goals.
As a master's degree-seeking student, you will be required to take a minimum of four basic chemistry courses in order to establish a strong foundation in the field. You will then be encouraged to take analytical, biological, inorganic, organic and/or physical chemistry advanced graduate courses to gain more in-depth perspectives. There are two pathways to our master's degree: a research path, or a coursework path with a science or business track emphasis.
In addition to scholarships and fellowships, opportunities to serve as a teaching assistant and/or research assistant are available, providing both financial support and educational experience.
Our division offers several graduate teaching assistantships each year. Research assistantships also may be awarded for sponsored research in specific areas. Out-of-state tuition may be waived for those with assistantship appointments.
Admission Requirements for the M.S. in Chemistry
Dr. Manal Omary, Chair of Graduate Advising
No deadline - Rolling admissions
- A bachelor’s degree in chemistry, or the equivalent to a chemistry major offered at Texas Woman’s University
- Three letters of recommendation. You will be asked to provide email addresses for three individuals familiar with your academic capabilities, and they will receive an email request to submit the letter directly into the system.
- An applicant with a bachelor’s degree in another discipline may be admitted provisionally until all undergraduate deficiencies are cleared
The GRE is not required.
Begin by reviewing your program's website to see if there are additional admission requirements and application deadlines prior to applying.
- Apply online.
Apply to Graduate Programs via the TWU Online Graduate Application Portal following instructions below.
- Submit transcripts to TWU.
- Domestic Applicants must submit official transcripts for each college or university attended, both undergraduate and graduate. See the Information on Transcripts website for more details.
- International Applicants are now required to provide an evaluation prepared by a NACES or AICE member evaluation service. International transcripts should not be sent directly to TWU. See the International Admissions website for more details.
- Submit Recommendation Requests
If your program requires you to submit names for recommendations you will need to do it in the application.
- Pay the application fee.
The $50 fee ($75 fee for International applicants), which applies to all new and returning applicants, can be paid by:
- Credit card - Pay Online through the application as the last step before submitting the application. The second portion of the application will not be available until the application fee has been received.
- Certified check or money order by mail or electronically - Payable to TWU, sent by mail to:
TWU Admissions Processing, 304 Administration Drive, Suite 102, Denton, Texas 76204
(include your full name and ID number).
- Cash (no personal checks) - Pay at the Bursar's Office. After paying, bring the receipt to Admissions Processing (down the hall in ACT).
- Fee Waivers - Graduate applicants who are certified McNair Scholars are eligible for a McNair Scholar Application Fee Waiver. TWU Alumni may be eligible for the Alumni Advantage Fee Waiver. Check your eligibility here: https://twu.edu/alumni-advantage/. If eligible submit the request using the Application Fee Waiver Submission
- Following fee payment return to the application dashboard where supplemental application documents can be uploaded. The online application will list which documents are needed to fulfill the program admission requirements. You can also check the program's website.
For more information or assistance with the application or graduate admissions, visit the Graduate Admissions website.
Students who wish to apply for a Graduate Assistantship must meet the General Criteria for Appointment of Graduate Assistants.
- Learn more about scholarships and financial aid.
- Explore our student organizations.
- Schedule a campus visit.
Page last updated 4:03 PM, February 23, 2024