Chemistry & Biochemistry
Our mission: educate socially responsible, civically engaged chemists and biochemists
Our graduates are problem solvers who develop scientific solutions that will have a positive, sustainable and lasting impact on the world. Our curriculum incorporates experiential activities and ethical practices.
In addition to providing you with unparalleled research opportunities, rigorous coursework, and exceptional laboratory experiences, our faculty and staff will help you develop critical thinking, clear communication, teamwork, and personal and social responsibility. Our state-of-the-art facilities, instrumentation and resources will support your research, experimentation, and success in biochemistry, biophysical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and global citizenship.
Ten reasons to get your BS in chemistry or biochemistry at TWU
- Our faculty members have graduate degrees from well-respected institutes.
- Our curriculum produces more than good scientists. We also teach critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, and communication, and incorporate civic engagement and social responsibility.
- TWU's state-of-the-art chemistry laboratories allow students to learn the theory and practice of instrumental analysis.
- Cutting-edge research is available to TWU undergraduate students.
- Environmental awareness and responsibility are ingrained in TWU chemistry courses.
- TWU's Kappa Epsilon Mu (KEM) Club received the Outstanding Student Chapter award from the Committee on Education of the American Chemical Society.
- Successful undergraduate students go into well-paying careers and into prestigious PhD programs.
- TWU's culture of safety teaches students to use good practices in the chemical laboratory.
- TWU has earned recognition by the Association of American Colleges and Universities as a leader in civic engagement and social responsibility into our curriculum, and the William E. Bennet Award for Extraordinary Contributions to Citizen Science.
- TWU students learn and discover through rigorous coursework, relevant laboratory activities and cutting-edge research.
We offer undergraduate degrees in biochemistry and chemistry, with programs leading to teacher certification, American Chemistry Society certification, and preparation for medically-related professional programs. As of Fall 2018, we now offer a NEW track in environmental chemistry, which allows you to study the role of chemical species in natural places such as water, air and soil. A chemistry minor also is available to TWU undergraduate students.
Our flexible master of science degree in chemistry is custom-designed by a faculty committee to suit your individual career goals. As a graduate student in our program, you will have the opportunity to choose from a broad range of research focuses, attend advanced courses, and participate in seminars and research.
Chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental chemistry lead to careers in fields such as:
- Alternative energy
- Disease prevention
- Drug discovery
- Food production
- Environmental remediation
- National defense
- Science education
- Smart materials
Page last updated 1:11 PM, September 27, 2023