Certification Requirements and Procedures
Individuals are recommended for certification upon successful completion of the TWU Teacher Education Program, including student teaching/internship and passing all required TExES exams. If you have questions regarding this procedure, please contact the Office of Educator Preparation Service number, 940-898-2829 for assistance. The Office of Educator Preparation Service is located on the Denton campus in Stoddard Hall, Room 211. Individuals desiring to teach in accredited public/private schools in Texas must be certified through the Texas Education Agency’s Certification and Standards Division.
Step 1 - Pass necessary TExES State Content exam
- Content exam (e.g., EC-6 Core Subjects or 7-12 History)
- More information about sitting for the state content exam
Step 2 - Application Procedures
- Step 2A - Full admission to TWU Graduate School
- Degree-seeking: Admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching program
- Certification-only: Admission to the Post-bachelor’s Initial Teacher Certification Program
- Step 2B - Full admission to TWU’s Educator Preparation Program
Step 3 - Complete the program
- Successfully complete all coursework required for the degree or certification plan
- Successfully pass the EC-12 PPR and supplemental (if applicable)
- Successfully complete all required field experiences
4 - Apply for Certification
- Must pass all required TExES exams before applying for certification
- Apply no sooner than two weeks before graduation
- Go to your Educator Account on the TEA website and click on apply for standard certificate. Pay applicable fees: $77 for application and $37.75 for fingerprinting, if needed. All first-time applicants must be fingerprinted as part of a national criminal background check. If you do not have fingerprints on file with the Texas Department of Public Safety’s approved vendor, you might be required to submit fingerprints again. Read more detailed information on fingerprinting.
- Graduate degrees will post approximately two to three weeks after the semester ends and grades are post.
- Office of Educator Support Services will recommend you for certification 1-2 days after your degree posts to your transcript.
- TEA will issue your certification 3-4 days after you are recommended once your national criminal background check clears.
Page last updated 1:13 PM, July 29, 2020