Financial Aid Questions

Should I complete a FAFSA or TASFA?

The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is used to collect information to help determine eligibility for state financial aid programs that are administered by institutions of higher education in the state of Texas. Students that are classified as a Texas Resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are encouraged to complete the TASFA.

How many hours do I need to be enrolled in to receive my financial aid?

Most financial aid programs, including grants and student loans, require you to enroll in and maintain a minimum of half-time enrollment in degree applicable credit hours. Access additional information about eligibility and enrollment requirements.

What is financial need?

Financial need is determined by a simple formula:

Student’s Cost of Attendance (COA) - Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need

Financial need is used to determine what financial aid programs you are eligible to receive. Need based financial aid programs include grants, work study and subsidized loans.  

What is a Student Aid Report?

Your Student Aid Report (SAR) is a document that summarizes the information you provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How do I find my tax transcript?

Go to the IRS website, select “Get your Tax Record,” then “Request Online.” Once successfully validated, you should have immediate access to view, download and print transcripts or verification of non-filing letter.

Loan Questions

What is the difference between direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans?

In short, direct subsidized loans have slightly better terms to help out students with financial need. Direct unsubsidized loans do not require applicants to demonstrate financial need.

What is an origination fee?

An origination fee is used by the federal government to offset the administrative costs of the loan.  Origination fees are charged as the loan is disbursed.

What is the interest rate on my student loans?

The interest rates for federal student loans can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

How do my parents apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan?

For undergraduate students only, you and your parents must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) first and then the parent borrower must log onto StudentAid.gov to submit the Direct Parent PLUS Request.

What if my parent(s) is/are not eligible for the Federal Direct PLUS loan?

The Department of Education will run a credit history check to determine eligibility for a Federal Direct PLUS loan. The department will provide information to parents about other options (i.e. pursue a co-signor/endorser or appeal the decision) if there is adverse credit history. If denied, the student may be eligible to receive additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans.

Scholarship Questions

I have a privately funded scholarship (not from TWU), where do I send my scholarship check?

Any external scholarship funds should be mailed to the Bursar’s Office.  Please make sure your name, TWU 7 digit student ID number and semesters to which the scholarship should be applied are provided on or with the check.

Texas Woman’s University
Bursar’s Office
P.O. Box 425439
Denton, TX 76204-5439

I already have a scholarship. Can I apply for more?

Yes, if you already have a scholarship or scholarships, you can apply for more. However, applying for a scholarship does not guarantee that you will be awarded the scholarship.

Why can’t I access the TWU Pioneer Scholarship System to apply for scholarships?

Current students must access the scholarship system using their TWU Pioneer Portal account username and password. New students who have applied to TWU have the ability to set up a Pioneer Portal account, even if they have not enrolled in classes yet. After a student has a portal account, it will be possible to access TWU Pioneer Scholarship System.

How do I receive a scholarship?

After completing the application, you will be notified by letter if you have received an award.

Can I begin to apply for a scholarship, leave, and then come back?

Yes. Just click “Save and Exit” on the bottom left corner of the screen. To return, log into your portal account. A link should be posted to take you back to the application.

Do I need to include the last 4 digits of my zip code?

No, this is not required. Just fill in your standard five digit zip code.

What do I do if I do not meet all of the requirements for a scholarship?

If you do not meet all of the requirements for a scholarship, do not finish the application for that scholarship. Instead, you should apply for a scholarship for which you meet all requirements.

What if I do not have a home phone number?

This field is required. However, you may list a cell phone number if this is the primary telephone number you use to be reached.

I have a privately funded scholarship (not from TWU), where do I send my scholarship check?

External scholarship funds should be mailed to the TWU Bursar’s Office. Please make your name, TWU student ID number and semesters to which the scholarship should be applied are provided with the check.

Texas Woman’s University
Bursar’s Office
P.O. Box 425439
Denton, TX 76204-5439

Grant Questions

I received X grant last year, but not this year, why?

Your grant eligibility can change from year to year based on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), enrollment status, or available funding. Lifetime limits on some programs may also impact grant eligibility. 

Why did my Pell Grant amount change?

Your Pell Grant amount can change based on any change you made to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), enrollment status or attendance. Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) may also impact your Pell Grant amounts.

Can I get more grant money?

You are considered for your maximum grant eligibility at the time you are awarded. If additional funds are available, you will automatically be considered.

Appeals Questions

What if my actual educational costs exceed the estimated expenses?

If a student believes the Cost of Attendance (COA) used in determining their financial aid was insufficient, they may request a review to increase their COA (and aid eligibility) with a Budget Review Request form found on the Forms page. Due to funding limitations, budget increases are typically funded with additional loan eligibility.

What if extraordinary circumstances have reduced my ability to pay for college?

If a student or their parent(s), if applicable, have been adversely affected by extraordinary circumstances that have reduced their ability to pay for college expenses, the financial aid office can review those circumstances in order to recalculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). This could potentially increase eligibility for need-based aid subject to the availability of funding. Please access our Special Circumstances Form found on the Forms page to report those changes.

Award & Disbursement Questions

How do I review and accept my award?

The Financial Aid office will notify you via email that your awards are available online in your self-service portal under “My Awards.” You may accept, reduce or decline any award online. You must then go to your Award Letter under Financial Aid, review it and accept the terms in order for any accepted aid to be disbursed.

When will my financial aid disburse/transmit?

For the Fall and Spring semesters, financial aid funds, including student loans, will disburse on the 1st day of classes for that semester. For the Summer, financial aid funds, including student loans, will disburse on the 1st day of classes for the session that the student has established at least half-time enrollment in degree applicable hours.

If I’m waiting on financial aid disbursement, how can I keep my classes from being dropped?

Set up a payment plan through the Bursar’s Office.

If I have not received my financial disbursement, how can I order books?

Access the Bursar’s Office website for a FAQ on Using Financial Aid for Books.

If I’ve already rejected my award, what can I do if I change my mind?

Send an email to finaid@twu.edu.

What is the difference between a disbursement/transmittal and a financial aid refund?

A disbursement/transmittal is when your financial aid is transferred to the Bursar’s Office to apply toward your outstanding charges. A financial aid refund is any aid that exceeds your outstanding charges and is released to you through BankMobile.

When will I receive my refund?

Please refer to the Bursar's Office for details about refund schedules.

General Questions

What is an International Student?

Generally, any student who is attending the university on a student visa, is not a United States citizen or who does not hold a Permanent Resident Alien card is classified as an international student.

What is a Non-Traditional Student?

Non-Traditional students generally fall into at least one of the following categories:

  • Starting or returning to college at age of 23 or older
  • Work full-time
  • Married
  • Have children
  • Veteran

What does half-time and full-time status mean?

Full-time and half-time status is based on the number of credit hours a student registers for during a particular semester. Financial aid and scholarships will have specific enrollment requirements depending on the aid program. For example:

Full-Time status

  • Undergraduate—enrolled for at least 12 credit hours
  • Graduate—enrolled for at least 9 credit hours

Half-Time status

  • Undergraduate—enrolled in 6-11 credit hours
  • Graduate—enrolled in 5-8 hours
  • A student may not be eligible for aid if they enroll less than half-time. A few exceptions include the Federal Pell Grant, students enrolled in the accelerated MBA programs and students enrolled in approved half-time equivalent courses.

How do I know how many credits I have earned?

Current TWU students can find this information on their transcripts, which can be accessed through the Pioneer Portal.

Page last updated 3:47 PM, April 22, 2024