Academic Scholarships

Budget Review Request

If a student believes the Cost of Attendance (COA) used in determining their financial aid was insufficient, they may request a review to increase their COA (and aid eligibility) with a Budget Review Request

Review of Dependency Status

Financial Aid has the authority, through Section 480(d)(7) of the Higher Education Act, to change a student’s status from dependent to independent in cases involving unusual circumstances.

Your Review of Dependency Status can be considered in documented cases of abuse, abandonment or neglect. If your situation falls under one of these reasons, select the appropriate option below and follow the instructions.

We cannot process a Review of Dependency Status for any of the following reasons.

  • Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education;
  • Parents are unwilling to provide information on the application or for verification;
  • Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes;
  • Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency.

Apply for Initial Review of Dependency Status

Submit the following:

  • 2023-2024 Review of Dependency Status Form (PDF) - Used for Summer 2023, Fall 2023 and Spring 2024
  • A personal statement explaining your relationship with your biological mother and father
  • At least three (3) signed, written statements from professional third parties (clergy, counselors, teachers, etc.) attesting to your relationship with your biological mother and father

Renew Your Review of Dependency Status

Submit the following:

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals

Federal and state regulations governing student financial assistance require that an institution develop standards to measure academic progress toward a degree. Students applying for financial aid will be monitored for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) whether or not financial aid was applied for or received during any academic period in which the student was previously enrolled. You will not be eligible for financial assistance if you do not meet the academic progress requirements. Financial Aid monitors SAP at the end of each term. You must be meeting the minimum standards for SAP by the end of any given enrollment period at TWU to maintain financial aid eligibility.

If a student fails to meet SAP requirements due to mitigating circumstances and loses financial aid eligibility, the student may submit a written appeal with supporting documentation. A SAP Suspension/Suspension 1 appeal will ONLY be accepted when this form is completed and submitted with the required personal statement and supporting documentation. 

Special Circumstances

Complete this process to have your financial aid file reviewed if there has been a major change in your situation since filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or you have special circumstances that were not taken into consideration on the FAFSA.

Undocumented Students

Page last updated 4:43 PM, July 14, 2023