Veterans Educational Benefits
New Student Checklist to Start VA Benefits
- Apply for admission to Texas Woman’s University.
- Request your official Military Transcript to receive college credit for military training. This is a requirement from VA and all students must request their official transcript. Skip this step if you are the dependent or spouse.
- Review College Credit for Heroes information and apply as necessary.
- Complete the online GI Bill® application* (all federal-related benefits) to transfer or apply for benefits.
Transferring students fill out VA 22-1995 form if you are using GI Bill® benefits except CH 35 (DEA). CH 35 recipients fill out VA 22-5495 (make sure to fill out the application without signing in.)
Students applying for the first time will fill out the 22-1990 form on the va.gov site. Dependents and spouses who will be using CH 33 (post 9/11) benefits will need to fill out 22-1990e fil out the application without signing in. New CH 35 recipients fill out VA 22-5490. Fill out the application without signing in.
- Required Documents for Certifying Official
DD 214 (not required for Dependents)
Certificate of Eligibility (COE), once received from VA. This will not prevent you from being certified while we wait for VA to send the letter.
If you're using GI Bill® benefits you can also apply for Financial Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Attend New Student Orientation, if required, or contact your Academic Advisor to register for classes and obtain a copy of your degree plan. When requesting your degree plan let your Academic Advisor know that you are using military education benefits.
- Post 9/11 GI Bill® (CH 33)
- Montgomery GI Bill® (CH 30 Active/ CH 1606 Reserve)
- Vocational Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
- Dependent Education Assistance (CH 35)
May qualify for the Hazlewood Act (please review the information under the Hazlewood Tuition Exemption link below)
- Department of Defense Tuition Assistance
Once Accepted into University
- Create a Pioneer Portal account.
- Ensure you are able to log into your TWU email account. Once you are a student you must use your TWU email account when communicating with any department at TWU.
- Fill out the Veteran Intent to Register Form and submit to the VA Certifying Official located in the Office of the Registrar. The form will be filled out by the student the submitted to their academic advisor or department for verification and signature before it is sent to the VA office for processing.
- Register for classes
- Join the VA office Google Classroom.
- All students using GI Bill® benefits are required to submit the Intent to Register form to the Veteran Assistance (VA) Certifying Official's office before a certification is submitted to VA for payment.
Note: If after seven (7) business days after receiving confirmation that the TWU VA office has received your Intent Form, you have not yet received an email from VA confirming certification, contact the Certifying official's office at (940)898-3069. Do not wait to do so.
*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Page last updated 2:28 PM, September 18, 2023