Veterans Educational Benefits

New Student Checklist to Start VA Benefits

  • Apply for admission to Texas Woman’s University.
  • Request your official Military Transcript to receive college credit for military training. This is a requirement from VA and all students must request their official transcript. Skip this step if you are the dependent or spouse.
  • Review College Credit for Heroes information and apply as necessary.
  • Complete the online GI Bill application to transfer or apply for benefits. 
    Transferring students fill out VA 22-1995 form if you are using GI Bill benefits except CH 35 (DEA).  CH 35 recipients fill out VA 22-5495.
    Students applying for the first time will fill out the 22-1990 form for GI Bill benefits. Dependents and spouses who will be using CH 33 (post 9/11) benefits will need to fill out 22-1990e. New CH 35 recipients fill out VA 22-5490.
  • Required Documents for Certifying Official
    DD 214 (not required for Dependents)
    Submission Confirmation number of Initial or Transfer application from the VONAPP site.  
    Certificate Of Eligibility (COE), once received from VA
    Degree Plan (required after you have talked with an advisor)

If you're using GI bill benefits you can also apply for Financial Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

  • Attend New Student Orientation, if required, or contact your Academic Advisor to register for classes and obtain a copy of your degree plan. When requesting your degree plan let your Academic Advisor know that you are using military education benefits.

Federal Benefits

Once Accepted into University

If you do not have at least 13 college credit hours you will need to attend "Freshman Orientation." You will need to contact the Veteran office to request that the "Orientation Hold" is lifted so you can register for your classes. You will still have to attend the orientation but because of veteran status the hold is lifted so that your term will be submitted to Veteran Affairs. If you do not attend the orientation after the hold has been lifted, your term may be terminated, resulting in a debt to VA that the student will need to pay.

NOTE: The hold is only lifted for those veterans and dependents using any type of GI Bill benefits. Hazlewood is Not a GI Bill Benefit.

  • Create a Pioneer Portal account.
  • Fill out the Veteran Intent to Register Form and submit to the VA Certifying Official located in the Office of the Registrar. Please read the policy and procedure letter before filling out the intent form.
  • Register for classes
  • Request access into the Veteran and Dependent Blackboard Organization (VADP) by contacting the TWU Certifying official's office.
  • All students using GI Bill benefits are required to submit the Intent to Register form or Advisor's Worksheet to the Veteran Certifying Official's office before a certification is submitted to VA for payment.

Note: If after 48 hours of submitting your intent form and have not yet received an email from VA or received a notification in Blackboard under "Certification Status" contact the Certifying official's office at (940)898-3069.

Page last updated 11:59 AM, December 13, 2021