Academic Policies - Active Military
Absence for military service: In accordance with section 51.9111 of the Texas Education Code, a student is excused from attending classes or engaging in other required activities, including exams, if they are called to required military service of a reasonably brief duration. The maximum time for which the student may be excused has been defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) as “no more than 25 percent of the total number of class meetings or the contact hour equivalent (not including the final examination period) for the specific course or courses in which the student is currently enrolled at the beginning of the period" of required military service. The student will be allowed a reasonable time after the absence to complete assignments and take exams.
A student called to Active Military Duty will not be penalized for withdrawing from Texas Woman’s University. A student may pursue one of the following three options:
- Withdrawal with a full refund of eligible tuition and fees
- If the student meets eligibility criteria, they may be assigned incomplete grades with a deadline for completion of one year after the end of the active duty assignment
- Assignment of a final grade if the material has been sufficiently mastered, as determined by the instructor.
Students should meet with their instructor to decide if an Incomplete or final grade is warranted.
Eligible students under this provision must produce a copy of his or her military orders and should follow the steps below:
- Contact your commanding office and obtain a written record of your “Call to Duty.” You will need two copies of this record.
- Contact the Department of Student Life (940-898-3615) to withdraw from the University. You will need to provide a copy of your “Call to Duty" orders to be eligible for a refund of your cost of tuition.
- Contact TWU Veterans Representative in the Registrar’s Office (940-898-3036) to notify them of your “Call to Duty."
- Once your withdrawal form and termination certification have been processed, contact the Bursar's Office to confirm your billing has been updated.
Page last updated 11:36 AM, March 15, 2023