PhD in Sociology
Doctor of Philosophy degree in Sociology
Our doctoral program offers maximum flexibility while meeting your individual academic needs. We provide a solid foundation in the core areas of research methods and sociological theory, as well as benefits and opportunities from the combined faculties and facilities at two Denton universities.
The TWU Sociology Program now serves students via doctoral-level major study in criminology. Of the Federation of North Texas Area Universities, TWU is the first to offer a specialization in criminology.
Federation of North Texas Area Universities
The Federation of North Texas Area Universities is a consortium of three universities: Texas A&M University-Commerce, Texas Woman's University and the University of North Texas. Our doctorate in sociology is granted by both TWU and UNT. Students enrolled at either university may complete a portion of their graduate work at either university and receive access to combined academic resources like cross-registration, a variety of professors and library access. The degree is conferred by the university to which the student was admitted.
- Texas Woman's University Program Faculty
- University of North Texas Program Faculty
Admission to the Ph.D. in Sociology
James L. Williams, PhD
Graduate Program Director
Fall - June 15
Spring - November 15
Summer - March 15
Consideration for Graduate Assistantship:
Fall - March 15
Spring - October 15
- Bachelor's degree in Sociology or its equivalent. Students without a bachelor's degree in Sociology will be considered if the admission committee believes that the student shows academic promise.
- GPA of 3.5 or higher on the last 60 hours of undergraduate work and on all graduate work (a GPA of at least 3.0 may be considered for conditional admission).
- A writing sample (e.g., a thesis chapter, a term paper, a conference paper, or the like)
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School.
- Submit a personal statement of interest (2-3 pages) as a PFD file to email@example.com with the subject line (YOUR LAST NAME)-(YOUR FIRST NAME)-Ph.D. in Sociology.
- Three academic or professional references should submit letters of recommendation as PDFs on institutional or organization letterhead to firstname.lastname@example.org. Recommenders should include student name and "Ph.D. in Sociology" in the subject line.
Note: Students admitted with a bachelor’s degree can earn their M.A. degree during the course of study. They will be required to write a master’s thesis, which, together with their coursework, will be evaluated by the sociology faculty at the end of their master’s stage. Based on the evaluation, the faculty could recommend that a student continue to pursue the Ph.D. degree or be awarded a terminal M.A degree. The thesis requirement is waived for students admitted with a master’s degree.
For more information about our sociology doctoral program, please contact:
James L. Williams, PhD
Sociology Program Lead & Graduate Program Director
Page last updated 4:08 PM, May 3, 2022