Master of Library Science Degree (MLS)
The Master of Library Science degree program at Texas Woman’s University is accredited by the American Library Association Committee on Accreditation, with the status of Continued accreditation. The next comprehensive review visit is scheduled for 2025. Public Disclosure on Master's Student Learning Assessment
The Master of Library Science (MLS) degree is available entirely online and is designed to prepare professionals to work in different types of information environments, with the opportunity to specialize in a Program Track.
See the Courses section for additional information.
Admission to the M.L.S. or M.A. in Library Science Programs
Preferred Application Deadlines
Fall - June 1
Spring - November 1
Summer - April 1
- Completed bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA from a U.S. college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency or an equivalent degree from a foreign college or university.
- Applicants with GPA below 3.0, who meet the Graduate School minimum requirement, may be considered for admission review on a case-by-case basis.
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School (see How to Apply). Upload the following documents:
- Application Form - School of Library & Information Studies - (fillable PDF form; Chrome browser recommended)
- 2-page statement of intent (your professional goals and career interests)
- Email address for one individual familiar with your academic capabilities, who can provide a letter of recommendation to be requested through and submitted into the application
Those applying to the Dual Degree program (M.L.S. and M.S. in Health Studies) must also apply to the Department of Health Studies. For Health Studies admissions questions, please contact Jason Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org or 940-898-2864.
Begin by reviewing your program's website to see if there are additional admission requirements and application deadlines prior to applying.
- Apply online.
Apply to Graduate Programs via the TWU Online Graduate Application Portal following instructions below.
- Submit transcripts to TWU.
- Domestic Applicants must submit official transcripts for each college or university attended, both undergraduate and graduate. See the Information on Transcripts website for more details.
- International Applicants are now required to provide an evaluation prepared by a NACES or AICE member evaluation service. International transcripts should not be sent directly to TWU. See the International Admissions website for more details.
- Submit Recommendation Requests
If your program requires you to submit names for recommendations you will need to do it in the application.
- Pay the application fee.
The $50 fee ($75 fee for International applicants), which applies to all new and returning applicants, can be paid by:
- Credit card - Pay Online through the application as the last step before submitting the application. The second portion of the application will not be available until the application fee has been received.
- Certified check or money order by mail or electronically - Payable to TWU, sent by mail to:
TWU Admissions Processing, 304 Administration Drive, Suite 102, Denton, Texas 76204
(include your full name and ID number).
- Cash (no personal checks) - Pay at the Bursar's Office. After paying, bring the receipt to Admissions Processing (down the hall in ACT).
- Fee Waivers - Graduate applicants who are certified McNair Scholars are eligible for a McNair Scholar Application Fee Waiver. TWU Alumni may be eligible for the Alumni Advantage Fee Waiver. Check your eligibility here: https://twu.edu/alumni-advantage/. If eligible submit the request using the Application Fee Waiver Submission
- Following fee payment return to the application dashboard where supplemental application documents can be uploaded. The online application will list which documents are needed to fulfill the program admission requirements. You can also check the program's website.
For more information or assistance with the application or graduate admissions, visit the Graduate Admissions website.
Students who wish to apply for a Graduate Assistantship must meet the General Criteria for Appointment of Graduate Assistants.
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or email@example.com.
Page last updated 4:03 PM, February 23, 2024