Texas Residency

All residency documentation should be submitted to the Registrar's Office by the census date of the term for which a residency rate change is being requested. 

Texas welcome sign

Texas residency regulations

For detailed information about regulations relating to residency in the State of Texas, visit the College for All Texans Residency Information Page.

Texas law classifies each person who applies for admission to a Texas public college or university as a resident of Texas, a nonresident, or a foreign (international) student. How students are classified is important because it determines whether they pay non-resident tuition rates or in-state rates.

When students apply for admission, the university uses information they provide on their Apply Texas applications to make an initial determination about residency.

If the submitted information indicates that the student is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident but that he or she may qualify for residency based on Texas high school graduation, the student must submit the Residency Affidavit [pdf]. The affidavit is a statement by the student that he or she qualifies for residency. It must be completed, signed, notarized, and submitted to the university in order for the student to be classified as a resident.

Correcting errors in classification

Sometimes students submit incorrect information or information that makes it appear as though they are non-residents when they actually do qualify for Texas residency. In such cases, the students must submit additional documents to correct their status.

Students who are incorrectly classified as non-residents can take steps to correct the error by submitting additional information to the university in the form of Core Residency Questionnaire [pdf]. In some cases, responses to the questions on the form show that the student meets the requirements for one of the two options available for establishing residency.

Establishing residency

Residency rules

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has established rules that govern residency for higher education in Texas.

Individuals can establish residency in two basic ways, one based on establishing domicile and the other based on graduation from high school. The option related to establishment of domicile is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students who hold Types of Visas [pdf].

Option 1: Residency by establishing domicile

This option for establishing Texas residency is available to:

  • Citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
  • Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.
  • International students who hold an eligible visa. Please check the Types of Visas [pdf].

If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s)/guardian(s) must meet the following criteria:

  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months by doing one of the following:
    1. Be gainfully employed in Texas (student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment);
    2. Have sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence;
    3. Own and operate a business in Texas;
    4. Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas.

To find a more detailed list of documents that are acceptable as proof to establishing domicile in Texas, please refer to the Documentation to Support Establishing and Maintaining Domicile in Texas [pdf]. In addition to submitting the above documentation, students must complete and submit the Core Residency Questionnaire [pdf] in order to petition for reclassification of residency status.

Option 2: Residency through high school graduation

This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to some international students.

To establish residency through high school graduation, you must:

  1. Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
  2. Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date (see the Academic Calendar for the exact date) of the semester in which you enroll at Texas Woman's University.

If you are an international student seeking residency through high school graduation, you must submit a Residency Affidavit stating that you will apply for permanent residency when you are eligible to do so.

Oklahoma reduced tuition rate

Qualifying Oklahoma residents may be eligible for reduced tuition as authorized by action of the Texas Woman's University Board of Regents. This action applies only to Oklahoma undergraduate students. Eligible students must provide two different documents showing physical location of residency in Oklahoma to the Registrar's Office by the census date of the first term to utilize the reduced rate. This policy is reviewed annually by the Board of Regents and the Board can at any time remove this exemption.

General guidelines

  • It is the student’s responsibility to submit the Residency Questionnaire and/or requested documentation for the establishment of residency for tuition purposes.
  • If a student has submitted a Residency Questionnaire, they must check their TWU email account for updates regarding their status.
  • Please be aware that an incomplete Residency Questionnaire will be returned to the student for completion, to the address on file with the university, and will result in a delay processing your request.
  • Additional documentation may be requested after the initial review of your Core Residency Questionnaire.
  • Any resident status changed after Census Day shall apply to the next succeeding semester in which the student enrolls.

Submit your appeal to:

Fax: 940-898-3097

Email: registrar@twu.edu

Postal Address:
Office of the Registrar
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425559
Denton, TX 76204-5559

Street Address (for overnight or package delivery):
Office of the Registrar
Texas Woman's University
304 Administration Dr., Suite 128
Denton, TX 76201

For further information, please call the Registrar’s Office (940) 898-3036 or email us at registrar@twu.edu.

Page last updated 11:07 AM, September 16, 2020