Emotional Support Animals Request

URP 01.245 Animals on Campus

TWU Disability Services for Students (DSS) provides reasonable accommodations for students with a disability. Under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), an emotional support animal (ESA) may be approved while living in on-campus housing, on a case-by-case basis when there is a documented need.

Students requesting an emotional support animal should use the Emotional Service Animal Request Form. With the information provided, DSS will determine if a student qualifies to have an emotional support while living in a Texas Woman’s University residence hall.

How do I fill out the form?

The Emotional Support Animal Documentation Form should:

  • Be completed by a qualified professional with whom the student has an established therapeutic relationship.
  • Be completed as clearly and thoroughly as possible. Incomplete responses and illegible handwriting will require additional follow up that may delay the review process.
  • Be supplemented with any evaluative reports that may provide a more complete understanding of the student. Evaluative reports may include diagnostic reports such as psycho-educational or neuropsychological reports. Please do not provide case notes or rating scales without a narrative that explains the results.
  • Be submitted to DSS. All documentation will be held strictly confidential as a student record. This form may be released at the student’s request.

Evaluating ESA Requests

The DSS staff will consider ESA requests based on the following criteria provided by the FHA:

  1. The student has a disability
  2. The animal is necessary in affording the student the opportunity to use and enjoy their living space.
  3. There is an identifiable relationship or nexus between the disability and the assistance the animal provides.
  4. DSS staff will make a determination within 14 days of receipt of a completed ESA request and meeting with the student on whether an accommodation will be granted.

Next Steps After ESA Approval

DSS Contact:

The following information must be provided to DSS before the emotional support animal can come to campus:

  1. Animal Registration with the City of Denton (dogs, cats and ferrets only)
  2. Rabies vaccination certificate/Shot Record
  3. Other application health records
  4. Current color picture of Animal
  5. Emergency contact person

Students approved for ESAs will be required to provide updated animal health records (rabies vaccines, etc.) and City of Denton registration to DSS annually.

Housing Contact:

The following must be submitted to the student’s resident director after receiving notification from DSS that the emotional support animal may come to campus:

  1. Service and Emotional Support Animal Housing Agreement Form
  2. Service and Emotional Support Animal Roommate Agreement Form (to be completed by each roommate).

All students with approved ESAs must meet with their resident director to coordinate the ESA move in. The Service and Emotional Support Animal Housing Agreement Form must be reviewed and signed during the meeting. The form includes important information on standards for approved animals, animal care & guidelines, cleaning and damage, animal liability, areas off limits to animals, removal of animals, conflicting disabilities/roommate, and the complaint process.

The Service and Emotional Support Animal Roommate Agreement Form must be completed and submitted by each roommate prior to the animal occupying the assigned space. Housing will send the form to each roommate once you have been approved by DSS.

Page last updated 4:56 PM, February 26, 2024