Exam accommodations are approved by Disability Services staff. Students will use myDSS to reserve their exams with accommodations. Exam reservations will be approved after DSS receives the Alternative Testing Agreement (ATA) from your instructor. Exams cannot be taken in the DSS Testing Center without the ATA.
“Exam,” as used in this context, refers to quizzes, tests, and final exams taken during the semester in conjunction with an academic class, both on campus and online.
Test accommodations are determined on an individualized basis and may include:
- Extended time to complete tests and quizzes
- A testing location reduced of distractions
- Equipment such as a computer, magnifier, or Braille
- Readers and scribes
- Alternative formats
Exams must be taken during the regular class time unless an alternate time is approved by the instructor.
Reserve Exams in myDSS
Exams must be reserved in myDSS at least 5 business days in advance. Exam reservations will be approved after DSS receives the Alternative Testing Agreement (ATA) from your instructor. Exams cannot be taken in the DSS Testing Center without the ATA.
- When first logging into myDSS, you must read and acknowledge the Testing Center Policies before proceeding into myDSS.
- In the left side of the webpage, under "My Accommodations”, select "Alternative Testing"
- Under “Alternative Testing Agreement”, click on the dropdown box to “Select Class” for which you would like to schedule an exam/quiz to take in the DSS Test Center.
- Click on “Schedule an Exam”.
- Click “Request Type” select the type of test you will be taking in the DSS Test Center: quiz, exam/mid-term, or final.
- “Enter date” This date should be the same date as your class. The instructor will have already entered the dates on the Alternative Testing Agreement. If the date for your exam is not listed, contact your instructor and DSS staff.
- “Enter time” (choose your class time unless you and the instructor have agreed on an alternate start time which has been communicated to the Test Center by the Instructor).
- In the “Services Requested” box, choose the accommodations you want to use for the exam.
- Click ”Add Exam Request”.
- At the top of the screen, you will see: “System Update Successful” and receive a confirmation email.
*Please Note: If you have back to back classes, please consult with DSS and your instructor to find a time to take your exam so that you do not miss any of your other classes.
How do I Modify my Exam Reservations in myDSS?
- Click on “Alternative Testing” on the left of your dashboard. This takes you to the list of your exam reservations.
- Find the exam you wish to change.
- Click “Modify Request” on the right of the exam.
- Make your changes on the “Exam Detail” form.
- Click “Update Exam Request” at the bottom of your screen.
How do I Cancel my Exam Reservations in myDSS?
- Click “Alternative Testing” on the left of your dashboard. This takes you to the list of your exam reservations.
- Click “Cancel Request” on the right of the exam. You will be taken to an exam cancellation confirmation page.
Exam Day Procedures
- Bring your picture ID. A picture ID is required and you will not be allowed to test without one.
- Students are expected to arrive on time. Students more than 30 minutes late for an exam will not be able to take their exam in the DSS Testing Center and will need to contact the instructor to obtain permission reschedule for another day/time. Please note, if a student is late to an exam, the difference between the scheduled time and start time will be deducted from the total time. (For example, if the student is 20 minutes late, then they will have 20 minutes less total testing time in which to complete the exam).
- Personal belongings are not allowed in the student’s possession while testing. Personal belongings may include backpacks, purses, coats, sweatshirts, sweaters, hats, cell phones, recorders, smart devices (i.e. Apple watches, FitBits), tablets, or computers, etc.
- Only water in a clear bottle may be taken into the testing room. No food, candy, gum, or snacks are allowed in the testing room. Exceptions are allowed for approved dietary accommodations.
- Students are expected to bring their own supplies and reference materials, if permitted, on exam date, (i.e., pencils, calculators, etc.).
- Scribes are not allowed to answer questions about the meaning of the testing material or how to state an answer on any exam. Scribes will write exactly what is said by the student.
- Readers may not define words or phrases.
- Once the exam begins, the student is not allowed to leave the testing area without prior permission from DSS Staff.
- DSS staff may enter the student's testing area at any time during the student's exam period to check materials within student’s possession.
- DSS Staff will collect the student's exam at the end of the student's testing period, and return the exam to the student's professor.
If DSS staff suspects academic dishonesty, the exam will be stopped, all materials will be collected immediately and the student will be released from the exam room. DSS Staff observations will be reported to the faculty member and the student via email notification.
Page last updated 3:22 PM, July 8, 2022