Dissertation Boot Camps
Information on Fall 2021 Boot Camp coming soon. If you have any questions about Boot Camp, please contact Dr. Theresa Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is it?
Dissertation/Thesis Boot Camp is a free all-inclusive program that offers a supportive environment to post-comps TWU graduate students who are ready to make serious progress in the dissertation process (i.e. proposal/prospectus development, data collection, data analysis, results and conclusion). It provides students the opportunity to participate in an interruption-free and stress-free space that includes intensive group and one-on-one writing support, workshops, research design consultations, and dedicated writing time.
We hope that by creating a supportive community of writers committed to the same goal, completing the dissertation or thesis on schedule, students gain a model that can be used beyond boot camp to more easily and more successfully navigate the dissertation process.
When is it?
Every May and December, the week after finals. This four-day program runs from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day. Boot camp is located is TWU Pioneer Center for Student Excellence (Denton campus) & Virtual Room.
Our next Boot Camp will be:
Monday, December 13, 2021 – Thursday, December 16, 2021
Sample Daily Schedule
|9:00 am–9:20 am||Breakfast|
|9:20 am–10:00 am||Process & Product Goals|
|10:00 am–12:00 pm||Free writing|
|12:00 pm–1:00 pm||Lunch|
|12:00 pm–1:00 pm||Guest Speaker|
|1:00 pm–3:45 pm||Free writing / success coaching|
|3:45 pm||Wrap up discussion|
NOTE: This schedule may change; if changes are made participants will be notified by TWU email.
The application process
- Applications will open October 1 (Fall) and March 1 (Spring). An email announcement will be sent to all TWU currently enrolled graduate students. The announcement will contain a Psychdata application link.
- Completing an application does not guarantee a seat.
- Space is limited.
- Preference is given to participants who have not attended a previous Boot Camp.
- We normally notify all applicants of their status via email on the first Monday of November (Fall) and April (Spring). If we are unable to accept you, we can place you on a waiting list, and will notify you of any spaces that become available by the Friday before camp.
- If selected, confirmation of attendance is required within two weeks of notification. If you are accepted and cannot attend, let us know immediately.
- It is strongly recommended that you will complete the Pre-Boot Camp Survey to help us better serve you.
What you can expect
- Scheduled programming, including lunches with resource personnel like reference librarians, Graduate School staff, and Success Coaches
- Workshops on time management, goal setting, analyzing models, getting feedback, etc.
- Individual consultations with tutors and coaches
- The opportunity to meet other students working on their dissertation or thesis and discuss your writing with them
- The opportunity to make connections for developing writing and support groups outside of the boot camp
What we expect
- Participants must be in the active drafting phase i.e. actively writing a prospectus, thesis, or dissertation.
- Participants must set daily and weekly writing goals and actively work to achieve them.
- The virtual Boot Camp is come-and-go. Each day runs from 9am to 3:45pm. Please communicate with the Boot Camp staff about potential absences as soon as possible.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to bring any books, articles, and other materials that they need.
Theresa Lindsay, PhD
Director Academic Success Initiatives
Page last updated 10:06 AM, September 22, 2021