Dissertation Boot Camps
What is it?
Dissertation/Thesis Boot Camp is a free virtual program that offers a supportive environment to post-comps TWU graduate students who are ready to make serious progress in the dissertation/thesis process (i.e. proposal/prospectus development, data collection, data analysis, results and conclusion). It provides students the opportunity to participate in an interruption-free and stress-free space that includes intensive group and one-on-one writing support, workshops, research design consultations, and dedicated writing time.
We hope that by creating a supportive community of writers committed to the same goal, completing the dissertation or thesis on schedule, students gain a model that can be used beyond boot camp to more easily and more successfully navigate the dissertation process.
When is it?
Dissertation boot camp will be offered twice a semester beginning Fall 2023 in September and October. Applications will open in the beginning of September (Fall) and March (Spring). This virtual program will run from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day, and attendance the entire day is required.
Our next Boot Camp will be:
Thursday, September 21, 2023
scroll to see the full table⇨
Sample Daily Schedule
|9:00 am–9:30 am||Welcome|
|9:30 am–noon||Uninterrupted writing time; student can sign up for afternoon|
|1:00 pm–1:30 pm||After lunch group check-in|
|1:30 pm–4:00 pm||Uninterrupted writing time; Consultations|
|4:00 pm–4:30 pm||Wrap-up group chat|
NOTE: This schedule may change; if changes are made participants will be notified by TWU email.
The application process
- Applications will open September 1 (Fall) and March 1 (Spring). An email announcement will be sent to all TWU currently enrolled graduate students. The announcement will contain an application link.
- Completing an application does not guarantee a seat.
- Space is limited.
- Preference is given to participants who have not attended a previous Boot Camp.
- If we are unable to accept you, we can place you on a waiting list and will notify you of any spaces that become available by the week before camp.
- If selected, confirmation of attendance is required within one week of notification. If you are accepted and cannot attend, let us know immediately.
- It is strongly recommended that you will complete the Pre-Boot Camp Survey to help us better serve you.
What you can expect
- Attend a 100% virtual boot camp from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Individual consultation opportunities with campus resources such as Librarians, Center for Research Design and Analysis, Academic Coaches, and The Write Site
- Full access to the Dissertation Resource Hub during the duration as a student at TWU
- The opportunity to meet other students working on their dissertation or thesis and discuss your writing with them
- The opportunity to make connections for developing writing and support groups outside of the boot camp
What we expect
- Participants must be in the active drafting phase i.e. actively writing a prospectus, thesis, or dissertation
- Participants must commit to attendance the entire day of boot camp, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Participants must set writing goals at the beginning of the boot camp, and actively work towards achieving them during camp
Jessica L Adame, PhD
Assistant Director, Academic Success Initiatives
Page last updated 2:55 PM, September 8, 2023