Graduate Certificate in School Librarianship
The Graduate Certificate in School Librarianship program with School Librarian Certification (SLC) is for those holding a master’s degree in a different discipline who do not wish to obtain the MLS degree. The certificate program is available entirely online.
See the Courses section for additional information.
Steps to Admission
Applicants must apply to both the TWU Graduate School and SLIS. See steps 1 and 2 below along with the Additional Requirement.
1. Apply to the TWU Graduate School.
- No standard test score is required if your undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or above, or if you have a previous graduate degree.
- If your cumulative undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, you are required to submit an official standardized test score as part of the application to the Graduate School.
- Applicants who have earned a bachelor’s degree at a foreign institution or whose U.S. undergraduate transcript does not provide a cumulative GPA are required to submit standardized test scores. Official test scores are accepted from the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
- For questions on the Graduate School admissions process, contact the Office of Admissions Processing at OAP@twu.edu or (940) 898-3076.
2. Apply to SLIS. Only complete application packets will be considered. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current. Submit the following materials via email to email@example.com, or by postal mail to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425769, Denton, TX 76204-5769.
- A SLIS Application Form (fillable PDF form; Chrome browser recommended)
- A resume
- A 2-page statement of intent (your professional goals and career interests)
- 3 professional reference letters sent via postal mail on official letterhead OR sent via email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) directly from the name of the reference
Apply to the TWU Educator Preparation Program. For Texas School Librarian certification information, contact the Office of Educator Preparation Services at 940-898-2829 or email Linda Kobler at email@example.com.
- Applications continue to be accepted until all available spaces are filled.
- The preferred application deadlines are June 1 for the Fall semester, November 1 for the Spring semester, and April 1 for the Summer semester.
U.S. Department of Education Gainful Employment Disclosure
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Post-Master's Certificate in School Librarianship prepare graduates to take the School Librarian Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) exam (State Board for Educator Certification through the Texas Education Agency). If you are a resident of another state, contact our department to determine whether our program fulfills requirements to take the licensure exam in your home state.
Page last updated 1:38 PM, October 18, 2018