MFA in Art - Concentration in Studio Art
Our MFA in Studio Art will expose you to a broad range of art and design practices, fostering flexibility in thought and action that will prepare you to adapt to future possibilities while retaining the option of focusing primarily on one particular medium.
The heart of this program is the self-motivated pursuit of your own practice, supported and guided by our experienced faculty, then honed and expanded through feedback offered during critiques. Additionally, our trans-disciplinary courses will allow you to stretch your creative goals. Our new Academic and Professional Practice courses will further prepare you for many career opportunities in the Fine Arts.
Options for study and exploration include, but are not limited to:
- Graphic Design
- Art History
- Art Theory
- Art-Based Research Writing
The Master of Fine Art in Studio Art is a three-year, 60 credit hour, in-residence program.
Our new graduate studio building brings together MFA students under one roof, promoting collegiality and spontaneous exchange of ideas. This space is also ideal for pop-up student exhibitions, graduate seminars, open studio events and visiting artist interactions. Our specialized facilities, such as the Digital Craft Research Studio, Darkrooms, Design Studio and the Foundry, among others, will provide you with the necessary tools and skills to fully realize your creative endeavors.
Admission requirements to the MFA in Art (Studio Art)
Meg Griffiths, Graduate Admissions Coordinator
Preferred application deadlines
Spring - November 20
Fall - January 15
MFA/MA information session for Spring 2023-Fall 2024
- October 18, 7 p.m.
- November 7, 7 p.m.
- December 5, 7 p.m.
Meeting ID: 876 3023 6644
- Completion of the degree prerequisites.
- Applicants must upload following in PDF format. (note: we are switching from one submission system to another.
- A portfolio of 20 images of your original artwork (with captions including title, year, media, and dimensions) submitted as a PDF which must not be password protected. The portfolio document can optionally include a page with links to your vide work posted on youtube or vimeo.
- Letter of intent
- Artist/research statement
- Current vitae or resumé
- Email addresses for three individuals familiar with your academic capabilities, who can respond to a recommendation form to be requested through and submitted into the application.
Complete a phone, video chat, or in-person interview with graduate admissions coordinator. Please reach out to the graduate admissions coordinator, Dr. Meg Griffiths at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Begin by reviewing your program's website to see if there are additional admission requirements and application deadlines prior to applying.
- Apply online.
Apply to Graduate Programs via the TWU Online Graduate Application Portal following instructions below.
- Submit transcripts to TWU.
- Domestic Applicants must submit official transcripts for each college or university attended, both undergraduate and graduate. See the Information on Transcripts website for more details.
- International Applicants are now required to provide an evaluation prepared by a NACES or AICE member evaluation service. International transcripts should not be sent directly to TWU. See the International Admissions website for more details.
- Submit Recommendation Requests
If your program requires you to submit names for recommendations you will need to do it in the application.
- Pay the application fee.
The $50 fee ($75 fee for International applicants), which applies to all new and returning applicants, can be paid by:
- Credit card - Pay Online through the application as the last step before submitting the application. The second portion of the application will not be available until the application fee has been received.
- Certified check or money order by mail or electronically - Payable to TWU, sent by mail to:
TWU Admissions Processing, 304 Administration Drive, Suite 102, Denton, Texas 76204
(include your full name and ID number).
- Cash (no personal checks) - Pay at the Bursar's Office. After paying, bring the receipt to Admissions Processing (down the hall in ACT).
- Fee Waivers - Graduate applicants who are certified McNair Scholars are eligible for a McNair Scholar Application Fee Waiver. TWU Alumni may be eligible for the Alumni Advantage Fee Waiver. Check your eligibility here: https://twu.edu/alumni-advantage/. If eligible submit the request using the Application Fee Waiver Submission
- Following fee payment return to the application dashboard where supplemental application documents can be uploaded. The online application will list which documents are needed to fulfill the program admission requirements. You can also check the program's website.
For more information or assistance with the application or graduate admissions, visit the Graduate Admissions website.
Students who wish to apply for a Graduate Assistantship must meet the General Criteria for Appointment of Graduate Assistants.
Page last updated 4:03 PM, February 23, 2024