MA in Art - Concentration in Art History & Visual Culture
As a graduate student in our visual culture program, you have the opportunity to explore visual art through an interdisciplinary perspective. Developing knowledge and skills in Multicultural Women’s and Gender Studies and/or Studio Art, you will analyze the visual world through historical, social and cultural lenses. Our program will prepare you for engagement in a contemporary arts world through our focus on critical and creative inquiry, learn-by-doing approach, effective written and oral communication skills, and social justice-based perspectives. You will also benefit from our smaller-sized MA program that fosters one-on-one interaction and mentorship with faculty.
- MA in Art (Art History & Visual Culture) Degree Plan
- Visual Arts Graduate Courses
- Course Rotation Schedule
Admission requirements to the MA in Art (concentration in Art History & Visual Culture)
Meg Griffiths, Graduate Admissions Coordinator
Preferred application deadlines
Spring - November 20
Fall - January 15
MFA/MA information session for Spring 2023-Fall 2024
- October 18, 7 p.m.
- November 7, 7 p.m.
- December 5, 7 p.m.
Meeting ID: 876 3023 6644
- Completion of the degree prerequisites.
- Applicants must upload following materials, with all documents in PDF format (note: we have switched from one submission system to another).
- Letter of intent
- Research statement
- Current vitae or resumé
- Email addresses for three individuals familiar with your academic capabilities, who can respond to a recommendation form to be requested through and submitted into the university application
- Two writing samples in the field
Complete a video chat or in-person interview with faculty. Please reach out to the graduate admissions coordinator, Dr. Meg Griffiths at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Begin by reviewing your program's website to see if there are additional admission requirements and application deadlines prior to applying.
- Apply online.
Apply to Graduate Programs via the TWU Online Graduate Application Portal following instructions below.
- Submit transcripts to TWU.
- Domestic Applicants must submit official transcripts for each college or university attended, both undergraduate and graduate. See the Information on Transcripts website for more details.
- International Applicants are now required to provide an evaluation prepared by a NACES or AICE member evaluation service. International transcripts should not be sent directly to TWU. See the International Admissions website for more details.
- Submit Recommendation Requests
If your program requires you to submit names for recommendations you will need to do it in the application.
- Pay the application fee.
The $50 fee ($75 fee for International applicants), which applies to all new and returning applicants, can be paid by:
- Credit card - Pay Online through the application as the last step before submitting the application. The second portion of the application will not be available until the application fee has been received.
- Certified check or money order by mail or electronically - Payable to TWU, sent by mail to:
TWU Admissions Processing, 304 Administration Drive, Suite 102, Denton, Texas 76204
(include your full name and ID number).
- Cash (no personal checks) - Pay at the Bursar's Office. After paying, bring the receipt to Admissions Processing (down the hall in ACT).
- Fee Waivers - Graduate applicants who are certified McNair Scholars are eligible for a McNair Scholar Application Fee Waiver. TWU Alumni may be eligible for the Alumni Advantage Fee Waiver. Check your eligibility here: https://twu.edu/alumni-advantage/. If eligible submit the request using the Application Fee Waiver Submission
- Following fee payment return to the application dashboard where supplemental application documents can be uploaded. The online application will list which documents are needed to fulfill the program admission requirements. You can also check the program's website.
For more information or assistance with the application or graduate admissions, visit the Graduate Admissions website.
Students who wish to apply for a Graduate Assistantship must meet the General Criteria for Appointment of Graduate Assistants.
Page last updated 4:03 PM, February 23, 2024