Minors on Campus
Creating a positive environment that promotes health, wellness, safety, and security for children and teens is of utmost importance to Texas Woman's University. Activities/programs involving children/minors (under the age of 18) must follow the requirements of URP I.20.a and Youth Program Requirements and Procedures.
These requirements apply to any activity, program, or camp that is:
- Held on TWU campuses or sponsored/operated by TWU, and
- Has participants who are unaccompanied minors (i.e. less than 18 years old)
Activities, programs, or camps that meet these requirements are referred to as "Youth Programs".
The following are exempted from these requirements:
- Enrolled students who are less than 18 years old
- TWU employees who are less than 18 years old
- Activities where minors are supervised by parents/guardians or ISD staff/teachers
Example Youth Programs
Some examples of activities that are required to comply with these requirements include:
- Camps operated by TWU departments
- Camps operated on TWU campuses by outside organizations
- High school students in practicums on campus who are not enrolled (e.g. working in labs for experience)
- Music lessons and swimming lessons
- Athletic recruiting events
- Other events where minors are supervised by TWU or outside organizations on TWU campuses
Summary of Requirements
The main requirements for Youth Programs include the following:
- Registration of all Youth Programs with Risk Management
- Reporting of suspected abuse or neglect
- Background checks for all adult Youth Program staff and volunteers (annually)
- Child protection training for all adult Youth Program staff and volunteers (bi-annually)
- Minimum staffing ratios
- Prohibition of certain kinds of physical and verbal interactions and one-on-one contact with minors
- Development of additional procedures for the Youth Program (e.g. emergency procedures, medication management, pickup procedures, etc.)
Refer to the Youth Program Requirements and Procedures for additional details.
Risk Management has also developed a Minors on Campus FAQ.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Page last updated 10:52 AM, January 14, 2020