Distance Education SLP Degree & Admission Details
Schools-focused Cohort: We are awaiting authorization to offer a 12th cycle of the distance venue of the TWU MS program in Speech-Language Pathology. This program is designed for students who commit to working in the schools of Texas following graduation. If authorized, the 27-month program will begin in May 2023, with applications being accepted between August 15 and October 15, 2022. Because of the unique nature of this program, interested applicants must attend one of the program information meetings before applying. The dates for these meetings, once authorized, will be posted here.
Healthcare-focused Cohort: The next healthcare-focused cohort will begin in summer 2022 with applications being accepted through January 7, 2022. Because of the unique nature of this program, interested applicants are strongly encouraged to attend one of the SLP program open houses.
In this program, you will complete a total of 61 semester credit hours over seven semesters broken down into:
- 41 credit hours of required coursework
- Two credit hours of electives
- 18 credit hours of clinic (practicum) over six of the seven total semesters
- If you are an out-of-field student, you may be required to take an additional clinic semester
- You must secure and maintain sponsorship throughout the program (an approved Texas education entity for the schools-focused cohort and an approved healthcare entity for the healthcare-focused cohort)
- Each distance cohort has a residency requirement on the Denton campus
- Schools-focused cohort: six days at the beginning of the program
- Healthcare-focused cohort: three days each of the three summer semesters
- Before degree completion and graduation, you must pass a comprehensive exam
After graduation, you will be eligible to be licensed and certified to work in any setting. However, schools-focused distance students must commit to working as an SLP in the schools for a period of time after graduation.
A full list of courses, degree requirements, and additional program requirements are available in the course catalog.
Admission to the M.S. in Speech Language Pathology - Distance Venue
Summer – October 15
Note: For the 2022 healthcare cohort only, the application deadline is January 7.
If the next education cohort is authorized, applications for Cycle 12 will be accepted between August 15 and October 15, 2022. Applicants must register for one of the mandatory information meetings to learn about the program and the application process (to be scheduled in 2022).
- A bachelor's degree in communication sciences or a bachelor's degree out-of-field with completion of pre-master's leveling courses at TWU or another university. Applications may be submitted before these are completed as long as the degree or required leveling courses will be completed before graduate coursework begins.
- Completion of college-level coursework in the four areas in compliance with ASHA's Standard IV-A. No communication sciences courses can count toward this requirement. TWU follows ASHA’s guideline for meeting this standard. For more information on what classes count toward this requirement, see ASHA’s Course Content Guide.
- Statistics (can be math statistics, psychology statistics, business statistics, etc.)
- Biological science (biology, human anatomy, microbiology, etc.)
- Physics or chemistry (must be chemistry or physics, not a physical science course)
- Social or behavioral science (psychology, sociology, anthropology, public health, etc.)
- A minimum 3.0 GPA for the last 60 hours of college coursework (the average GPA of incoming students in our program is 3.76).
- A competitive GRE score (the average GRE scores of incoming students in our program are 150 for verbal, 145 for quantitative, and 3.8 for writing).
How to Apply - Healthcare Cohort (applications accepted through January 7, 2022)
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School and submit official transcripts to the Office of Admission Processing. It is recommended you request transcripts be sent by early December given many universities may be closed during the holiday. If currently enrolled in classes, final Fall grades are NOT required to be posted on official transcripts.
- Take the GRE General Test and submit your GRE scores to TWU.
- Complete the program application on the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service (CSDCAS) website before the deadline.
- A second set of official transcripts from every college or university attended must be submitted to CSDCAS. If currently enrolled in classes, final Fall grades are NOT required to be posted on official transcripts.
- Complete the MS in SLP Healthcare Cohort Supplemental Application. To complete the supplemental application, applicants must first create their TWU Pioneer Portal account and log in to their TWU Google account using their TWU email address and Pioneer Portal password.
How to Apply - Education Cohort (applications accepted beginning August 2022)
- Apply for admission to the TWU Graduate School. This step should be completed several weeks prior to the October 15th program application deadline.
- Take the GRE General Test and submit your GRE scores to TWU.
- To complete the program application, applicants must first create their TWU Pioneer Portal account and log in to their TWU Google Drive account using their TWU email address and Pioneer Portal password.
- Complete the program application. The application will open on August 15th and close at 5:00 p.m. on October 15th. The following items will be needed to complete the program application:
- Completed and signed forms from the Information Meeting Packet (each form will be submitted as an individual document)
- Estimated GPA on last 60 hours of college credit
- Course names and dates for prerequisite courses and leveling courses (if needed)
- A one-page letter of intent responding to this prompt: "Discuss how being accepted into the TWU Master's Program Statewide Distance Venue will help you achieve your professional goals." include your name and ID# in the letter.
- Current resume
- A link to a short (2-4 minutes) video which effectively communicates a response to this prompt: "Texas Woman’s University distance Master’s degree program is committed to creating top-quality SLPs with a focus in school-based service. School-based SLP’s are an integral part of any special education program. Discuss what characteristics or personality traits you possess that would make you a successful member of a school-based team."
- The names, positions/titles, employers, and e-mail addresses of three individuals who have agreed to provide you with letters of recommendation to the graduate program. Individuals identified will receive an e-mail from the program (may be sent after October 15th) with instructions and will have a few weeks to submit their recommendation. Recommendations do NOT have to be submitted by the October 15 deadline; only the application must be completed by this date.
For more information
Page last updated 8:04 AM, September 9, 2021