Mission, Goals and Objectives
SLIS Motto: Knowledge. Vision. Passion.
Texas Woman’s University School of Library and Information Studies (SLIS) educates students to become effective professionals in evidence-based practice and research in the field of library and information services; inspires intellectual curiosity, innovation, scholarship, and research to expand knowledge in library and information studies; and, develops leaders who advocate for social justice by providing excellent inclusive services in libraries and diverse communities.
The School of Library and Information Studies recruits and prepares a diverse body of students for professional and leadership roles and responsibilities in library and information services who:
- Cultivate and embody professional competencies that reflect an appropriate balance between theory and practice
- Engage diverse communities to develop and promote high-quality services that are innovative, inclusive, and responsive to the needs of diverse communities
- Use technological advances to meet the changing information needs of a knowledge society
- Advance and disseminate knowledge in the library and information studies field
- Advocate for the profession of librarianship and the dynamic responsibilities of libraries in increasingly diverse and networked communities.
The programs of study leading to the degrees of Master of Library Science and Master of Arts in Library Science are accredited by the American Library Association. The master’s degree programs are designed to prepare information professionals who will:
- Apply professional ethics and competencies in acquiring, organizing, delivering, and preserving information and knowledge
- Demonstrate evidence-based practice in professional decision-making
- Deliver community-embedded services to promote equity and social justice, and meet the needs of diverse constituencies
- Utilize technologies to meet information needs in a variety of contexts
- Disseminate professional knowledge through venues such as teaching, research, publication, and service activities
- Plan for and engage in continuous, career-long professional development
Updated by SLIS Faculty, September 2023
Page last updated 3:43 PM, September 14, 2023