BS in Nutrition (Nutritional Sciences)
Prepare for a career in researching or teaching nutritional sciences with a Texas Woman's BS emphasizing in nutritional sciences.
- Degree completion in little as four years, or 120 credit hours*
- High quality, affordable education and career preparation
- Conduct research with faculty using state-of-the-art analytical equipment
- Small classes with accessible, knowledgeable and supportive faculty, including flavor scientists and an emulsion chemist
- Scholarship recipients receive in-state tuition
- Classes take place on TWU’s Denton campus with some online course options
*Individual requirements may vary.
Why Nutrition at TWU?
At TWU, you have the opportunity to participate in research with faculty in any of the on-campus laboratories. Research possibilities include:
- Examining the effect of berries on bone health and prevention of osteoporosis
- Evaluating the impact of various protein sources on exercise recovery
- Diabetes control
- Influence on parameters involved in the regulation of ovulation
- The effect of dietary fats on neurological behavior and neuroinflammation
Community nutrition options include the development of community education programs and evaluation and design or outreach opportunities.
Established partnerships for internship and job opportunities
Texas Woman's has established relationships with several North Texas-based food companies to bring you connections to internships and job opportunities after graduation. Corporations include:
- Yum Brands
- Pizza Hut
- Valdez Spice
- Ben E. Keith
- Tyson Foods
TWU believes in opening doors for its students
The Career Connections Center on each campus provides advising services and tailored career planning for our students and alumni, from career advising and networking to negotiating a salary after graduation. The Career Center has also implemented Handshake, a unique resume reviewing and job opening database that works to fast-track your job search.
For our budding entrepreneurs, TWU’s Center for Women Entrepreneurs is the state’s only university center dedicated to women’s entrepreneurship and business ownership. The Center provides tools for you to succeed including access to training/coaching, funding, mentoring and networking opportunities.
Prepare for a career in industry, research or university-level teaching positions. This program is also the first step in professional studies that require advanced degrees, such as:
Salaries in these areas vary widely. You also have the option of continuing your education and boosting your future earning potential with a TWU graduate degree in nutrition, exercise and sports nutrition or food science and flavor chemistry.
As a full-time student, you can complete the 120-123 required semester credit hours in just four years with:
- 42 hours of Texas core curriculum, which can be transferred from previous programs or community colleges
- 33 hours required for the nutritional sciences major
- 45 hours of other required courses and electives
A full list of courses and requirements are available in the course catalog.
When you apply to TWU, we will evaluate your academic achievement and preparation, as well as your standardized test scores. Admission to TWU is valid for four terms, unless you have attended another higher education institution.
Check out the links below for specific admissions information:
- How to apply
- Freshman Student Admissions
- Transfer Student Admissions
- International Student Admissions
- Other Types of Undergraduate Admissions
Questions about the admissions process? Contact the Office of Admissions Processing.
Office of Admissions Processing
Texas Woman’s University
P.O. Box 425649
Denton, TX 76204-5649
940-898-3076 or 1-866-809-6130 ext. 3076
For More Information
Page last updated 4:14 PM, November 13, 2019