Canvas is a web-based application which allows instructors to put class materials on the Internet. It provides a variety of tools to facilitate teaching and learning. The basic tools used in a Canvas course include a syllabus, learning materials (documents, videos, etc.), discussions, calendar, email, announcements, grades, exams, and assignments.
To monitor Canvas status, follow the MyCourses Twitter.
For Canvas technical support or assistance, please contact the Service Desk to request help.
Canvas Student Resources
Access Your Course in Canvas
To access your course(s) in Canvas from the TWU Homepage, click on Students (located in the top left corner), then click on My Courses. Once you are on the My Courses page, select the Log into Canvas button. You will need to enter your TWU Google username (email@example.com) and password.
By signing into Canvas you are agreeing to the following conditions:
You are about to connect to a secured information system. Access to this system is for official business only. Unauthorized access is prohibited. Any misuse of this information system or the data that it contains will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
- (A) Unauthorized use is prohibited;
- (B) Usage may be subject to security testing and monitoring;
- (C) Misuse is subject to criminal prosecution; and
- (D) Users have no expectation of privacy except as otherwise provided by applicable privacy laws.
Instructors must publish the course in Canvas before it will appear in your Canvas Dashboard. Most instructors publish their courses on the first day of classes. If you cannot access your Canvas course on the first day of classes, contact your instructor using the contact information available on the course listing in Student Self-Service and Student Planning. You can find Student Self-Service by logging into the Pioneer Portal.
If you need to request course information like the syllabus, textbooks, or other course materials before your course is available in Canvas, email the instructor using the contact information available on the course listing in Student Self-Service and Student Planning.
Getting Started With Canvas
There are several ways to get started learning about several important topics in Canvas.
- Canvas Student Overview – This introductory Canvas course covers details on many topics including configuring notifications and installing the Canvas Student app on your mobile device.
- Getting Started with Canvas [video] – This video presents an overview and demonstration of several topics covered in the Canvas Student Overview.
- Getting Started with Canvas [Students] - There are several resources available for students to get started using Canvas. You have to be registered for a course at TWU that is being taught in Canvas to log into Canvas.
- Canvas Student Guide - Provides online help for students that includes an overview of Canvas features, step-by-step documentation by topic, and search by keyword. This is your best option to look up "how to" information for a specific topic or keyword.
- Canvas Video Guides [Students] - Collection of videos for students that cover a variety of topics like Assignments, Calendar, Dashboard, Discussions, Feedback, and Grades. This is a great option if you are a visual learner.
Privacy in Canvas
You should become familiar with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). This Federal law protects the privacy of student education records. These rights transfer to you at the age of 18 or attend a school beyond the high school level.
Test and Quiz Taking Strategies in Canvas
Learn tips for taking a quiz and how to take a test in Canvas. Technical support is available if you encounter issues while taking a test. If you have technical issues during the test, select the question mark at the bottom left of the page to email your instructor or contact the Service Desk.
If you have problems during a quiz but are able to continue, be sure to notify your Instructor immediately after the quiz. Record as many details about the problem as you can for your instructor and the Service Desk.
Page last updated 1:16 PM, August 17, 2023