Test and Quiz Taking Strategies in Canvas
Tips for Taking a Quiz in Canvas
There are several tips for taking a quiz in Canvas. Check your Canvas course for the due date and time of your quiz, exam, or test. You want to resolve any issues while the quiz is still available.
Check your computer for:
- Unless you have permission from your instructor to use a smartphone or tablet, take quizzes on a desktop or laptop computer.
- Install and use the latest versions of at least two different web browsers by Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and/or Safari. If you encounter problems viewing content or experience other unexpected behavior, try using the second browser to resolve the issue. Contact the Service Desk if you continue to experience the problem.
- Try to use an Ethernet cable from your desktop or laptop to any of the numbered ports at the back of the router (1, 2, 3 or 4) instead of Wi-Fi. The wired connection is more reliable and is less likely to drop your connection to the Internet.
- Disable your pop-up blocker and close any applications that you will not be using before beginning the quiz.
- Do not click Submit until you have completed the quiz.
How to Take a Test
Open your Canvas course, navigate to the quiz and click the Name of the Quiz:
- Be sure to read any special instructions and/or time limits that your instructor has included.
- Be careful not to close the browser window when taking the quiz as it may not be possible to re-enter.
- Do not open new browser Tabs or use the browser forward or back arrows.
- If the scheduled due date and time occur while you are taking the quiz, the quiz will automatically submit.
- You will want to review the Canvas documentation How do I take a quiz?
If you have technical issues during the test, select the question mark at the bottom left of the page to email your instructor or contact the Service Desk.
If you have problems during a quiz but are able to continue, be sure to notify your Instructor immediately after the quiz. Record as many details about the problem as you can for your instructor and the Service Desk.
Page last updated 2:22 PM, March 17, 2020