Cross-Registration FAQ

Cross-registration information

Who is eligible to cross-register?

Graduate students from A&M-Commerce, TWU and UNT who are admitted to a master’s or doctoral program or pursuing certification may cross-register in graduate level courses that are being used toward their current degree program. 

How do I register for a course through the Federation?

All Federation cross-registrations must be completed by the Federation Representatives. Students may not register themselves.

Select a graduate course you wish to take at one of the other Federation institutions by searching their online course schedules. You must meet any course prerequisites and obtain professor or department approval at the course institution if necessary.

Links to Class Schedules:

Check with your graduate advisor to see if the course you wish to take will meet a specific program requirement. Obtain advisor approval, if necessary.

A&M-Commerce students will complete a Federation Cross-Registration form and return it by email to the Federation Representative at your home institution.

TWU and UNT students will complete the online cross-registration forms:

How can I find online courses?

  • A&M-Commerce—Search for "web based" courses in the course description or look for "W" in the course section (e.g. 01W).
  • TWU—Select "Internet Instruction" from the Instructional Methods drop-down menu.
  • UNT—Use the Additional Search Criteria and select "Internet" from the Mode of Instruction drop-down menu.

How long does cross-registration take?

Please allow at least 5-10 working days for cross-registration to be completed. Federation Representatives cannot override course enrollment limits or university registration deadlines, so submit your Federation course request as soon as possible once registration for the desired semester is open to graduate students. Registration that is not completed during regular registration periods will be subject to late fees.

How will I know if I am cross-registered?

Your Federation Representative will notify you by email when you are registered at both institutions. You will pay for your classes at your home institution, and you will not receive a bill or transcript from the course institution. 

You will attend face-to-face courses at the course institution, and you will set up an account on the web-based learning management system at the course institution (i.e., MyLeo at A&M-Commerce and Canvas at TWU and UNT) for both face-to-face and online courses.

Adding and dropping Federation courses

How do I drop a course if I decide not to take it? 

You MUST contact your Federation Representative, preferably by email, to request to drop a course so that you will be dropped at both institutions.

Note: You may not drop a Federation course through your university’s online registration system or through the Registrar’s Office at either institution. Failure to contact your Federation Representative to drop a course could result in academic penalty (i.e., grade of F or WF).

In addition, you must submit your drop request by the deadline on the posted academic calendar.  If the two institutions have different drop deadlines, you must submit your request by the earlier of the two deadlines. Failure to drop by the earliest deadline may result in academic penalty (i.e., grade of F or WF). 

How do I add a course if I am already registered for a Federation course?

List the course you wish to add on your existing Federation Cross Registration form, and re-submit it to your Federation Representative before the academic calendar deadline for course adds. You may NOT add a Federation course yourself even if you have access to the course institution’s online registration system.

Academic calendar and deadlines

Deadlines for registering, adding, dropping or withdrawing from a Federation course are determined by the academic calendar of the home and course institutions. If the home and course institutions have different deadlines, you must submit your request by the earlier of the two deadlines.


How will I get my grade for the Federation course?

The Federation Representative at the course institution will notify the Federation Representative at the home institution of the official grade earned in the course. The Federation Representative or the Registrar’s Office at the home institution will post Federation grades to students’ home institution transcripts. 

Will my transcript show the title of the course I took through the Federation?

Yes, the course number, course title, and course institution name will appear on the home institution transcript. You will not receive a transcript from the course institution.

Why don’t I have a grade for the Federation course I took this semester?

If the academic calendars of the home institution and the course institution are different, there could be a delay in posting grades to the home institution transcript.


Page last updated 4:08 PM, February 22, 2022