Reading Recovery at TWU
Texas Woman’s University has contributed to training 200-plus teacher leaders and more than 35,000 Reading Recovery® teachers, resulting in 258,000 students receiving the Reading Recovery intervention and 1.5 million in students getting reading instruction in the other part of the teacher’s day.
Texas Woman's University’s Reading Recovery program offers:
- Initial training for Reading Recovery and Descubriendo la Lectura teacher leaders
- Ongoing professional development for trained teacher leaders
- Implementation support to administrators in districts
- Initial training for Reading Recovery university trainers from other university training centers
- Conferences and institutes for Reading Recovery teachers and teacher leaders
- Institutes and sessions for administrators in Reading Recovery districts
- Publications and ongoing communications
- Evaluation of data
- Research about Reading Recovery
- Credit for training of Reading Recovery teachers in the North Texas area
TWU’s six-state network includes Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and Washington, with teachers in more than 40 school districts and 200 schools. Of the schools served, 62 percent had a sizeable population of English Second Language learners and more than four percent were in high-need rural areas.