Parking Rules and Regulations
Police and parking services are available 24/7 to the university community. Please use our online services.
Texas Woman’s University offers parking for students, faculty, staff and visitors who drive to any of our campuses. Vehicles must be parked between two parallel white lines and in appropriate zones for your type of parking permit during zone enforcement hours.
Parking permits are enforced Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Between 4 and 9 p.m., vehicles with a valid parking permit may be parked in any zone except visitor, reserved, yellow curbs and fire lanes.
Parking area curbs are color coded blue, gray, maroon, purple and black to correspond with the designated permit areas.
scroll to see the full table⇨
Please pay attention to curb colors as they take precedence over map designations.
Violating parking rules cannot be justified by a lack of parking. TWU provides remote lots from any loss of parking due to construction or overflowing.
TWU does not assume responsibility for the protection of motor vehicles or the property they contain. Only vehicles with current license plates and in operable condition may be driven on campus.
- Permits are issued to the individual and are transferable from one vehicle to another
- The entire protective cover on the permit must be removed and the permit totally attached to the vehicle’s windshield. Do not affix the permit with tape or other materials
- The permit should adhere to the inside of the motor vehicle, passenger side, lower right-hand corner
- You may only purchase a permit that pertains to your classification (Student/Faculty/Staff)
- One vehicle cannot display two types of valid TWU permits
- The registrant of a vehicle is responsible for its safe operation and proper parking, regardless of who is operating the vehicle
- Vehicles registered for parking must comply with Subchapter F, section 548 of the Texas Transportation Code
- A person with a disability and state-issued disability designation using a space designated for persons with a disability in the parking garage require a garage permit.
- A person with a disability and state-issued disability designation and a valid TWU parking permit may park in any space designated for persons with a disability (excluding the garage), or black, maroon, gray and blue areas only.
- Fit & Rec members should contact the Fitness and Recreation office for parking permits
- Motorcycle permits must be obtained through the DPS parking office
- The permit should be placed on the right front fork
Lost, Stolen or Damaged Permits
Please report any lost, stolen or damaged permits to DPS parking office as soon as possible. Vehicles displaying a permit reported lost/stolen will be immobilized.
scroll to see the full table⇨
|Permit Replacement Type||Fee|
|Damaged permit (return damaged one to DPS office)||$25|
|Stolen permit (after police report is filed)||$10|
|"Lost in mail" (within 21 days of issue date)||Free|
Reserved & Special Purpose Spaces
The Chancellor and President may designate reserved parking spaces for the Chancellor and President, Provost, Vice Presidents, Deans and certain administrators. Spaces are also reserved for state vehicle use at various campus locations. These spaces are reserved for the designated individual 24/7.
TWU’s Dallas campus has a limited number of parking spaces for low emitting fuel efficient vehicles. (The T. Boone Pickens Institute of Health Science in Dallas is a Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEEDS) certified campus.) The list of vehicles approved to use the designated spaces can be found at greenercars.org or in the DPS office. To park in the LEEDS spaces, you must have a valid TWU parking permit and drive a vehicle on the approved list.
Temporary Permits & Day Passes
The DPS parking office may issue temporary permits to students, faculty, and staff who have a current purchased permit. It is your responsibility to get a temporary permit prior to parking a vehicle on campus. Day passes are not available online.
- Already have a current parking permit? You are eligible to receive two free temporary permits per semester
- After the second temporary, you must purchase a day pass at the Denton DPS parking office or over the phone
- Online students may purchase a day parking pass at the Denton DPS parking office or over the phone
- Temporary employees fall under special parking rules. Contact the parking office for information
Visitors or Clinic Patients
Visitors to Texas Woman’s University’s Denton campus can get a one-day visitor parking permit at the Information Booth on Administration Drive or at the DPS office. Multi-day permits must be obtained at the DPS office.
- Clinic patients may park in the clinic spaces during their appointments
- Students, faculty and staff are not allowed to park in visitor spaces or clinic spaces between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. Monday-Friday
- UNT decals are valid in the library lot after 4 p.m.
If you are planning activities that involve campus parking, please contact DPS at least one week prior to the event to allow us to establish traffic control for proper visitor parking.
- All State of Texas general and criminal laws are in full force and effect within the areas under the control and jurisdiction of Texas Woman’s University
- TWU uniformed personnel are authorized to enforce state, city and TWU moving vehicle and parking laws and regulations and to issue citations for violation of such laws
- You may clear citations for university regulation violations by paying your fine online or at the DPS parking office
- Citations issued in Dallas may be cleared online
- All credit card payments must be processed online, by phone, or through the Denton DPS parking office
- The permit holder is responsible for parking citations issued to vehicles, under their control, when parked on university property
- All outstanding fines must be paid before purchasing a parking permit
Parking Violations & Fines
scroll to see the full table⇨
|Parking in disabled-accessible space||$150|
|Blocking wheelchair ramp||$80|
|Parking in fire lane (red curb)||$60|
|Parking in restricted zone||$40|
|Failure to display valid permit||$40|
|Parking in reserved space||$40|
|Parked in clinic space||$40|
|Parked on sidewalk||$30|
|Parked in no parking space (yellow curb)||$30|
|Parked in visitor space||$25|
|Parked in loading zone||$25|
|Parked in compact space||$25|
|Parked on left||$25|
|Improper display of decal||$25|
|Parked on lawn||$25|
Penalty for Failure to Pay Fines
- It is the responsibility of the permit holder to clear any ticket online through the Denton DPS parking office within 10 calendar days from the date of citation
- Failure to pay a fine will result in the addition of a $20 late fee per citation and the university’s withholding a student’s transcript.
- A vehicle is subject to impound, when found in violation, if the registrant or driver has accumulated three past due citations. The individual must pay all citations and fees to reclaim the vehicle
Impoundment & Booting
The cost of booting and/or impounding vehicles is borne by the owner. Contact the DPS parking office or dispatch office afer hours for payment details. The university and other authorized personnel are not liable or responsible for any loss or damage resulting from a vehicle being impounded or booted. The university does not charge a student account for this cost.
- Booting Fee: $80
- Towing Fee: $90
- Daily Storage Fee: $5
Impound, towing and storage fees at the Dallas campus are higher. Contact the Dallas campus DPS, 214-689-6666, for information.
Parking Appeals Board
If the recipient of a citation believes that the citation is unwarranted, he or she may request a review by the University Parking Appeals Board.
- The appeal must be filed online within ten calendar days from the date of the citation
- The appeals board will notify the appellant of its decision
- Within ten calendar days after receiving the decision, the appellant may request the Chairman of the Board to set a date for a personal appearance to present additional pertinent evidence if he or she is dissatisfied with the board’s ruling
The decision of the appeals board is final. Impoundment/booting fees are not appealable.
- Must be operated in accordance with TWU traffic rules and regulations and with state and local laws
- Are not permitted inside university buildings/residence halls
- Should be secured by locking to a bicycle rack when not in use
- Should not be secured in a manner that blocks passageways
- An optional and free university registration permit can be obtained through the DPS parking office
- Motorized scooters cannot be operated on any campus roadway unless they meet all the legal requirements of a motorcycle
- Motorized scooters, except those designed for and used exclusively by a handicapped person, are prohibited from being in any university building or operated on any campus sidewalk
Rollerblades & Skateboards
Rollerblades, skateboards, roller skates, etc. are prohibited on all portions of the central Denton campus. The area is designated by signs and is generally bounded by Oakland Avenue, Bell Avenue, Chapel Drive and Texas Street.
Department of Public Safety
University police officers are commissioned police officers with all the powers of peace officers as authorized by the Texas Education Code.
All thefts, accidents, offenses and incidents that occur on the TWU campus should be reported immediately to the DPS office or the officer on duty.
Police personnel are glad to assist students, faculty, and staff in any way possible. Services such as jump starts and unlocking vehicles are provided by the department, as time permits. However, jump starts will not be provided in inclement weather. Department personnel do not change flat tires, push cars, or perform any automotive services. The Department of Public Safety will seriously consider suggestions for improvement in its policies and regulations.
The university reserves the right to change any or all parts of these regulations as necessary.
Oakland Complex, First floor
1201 Oakland Street
T. Boone Pickens IHS, First floor
5500 Southwestern Medical Ave
P.O. Box 425767
Denton, TX 76204-5767
Page last updated 3:59 PM, June 4, 2019