BS in Food and Nutrition in Business and Industry
Work in the business side of the food manufacturing, product development, distribution or service management industries with a BS from Texas Woman's.
- Degree completion in little as four years, or 120 credit hours*
- High quality, affordable education and career preparation
- Highlights experiential learning with internship opportunities and on-site visits to local food service operations
- Small classes with accessible, knowledgeable and supportive faculty, including flavor scientists and an emulsion chemist
- Scholarship recipients receive in-state tuition
- Classes take place on TWU’s Denton campus with some online course options
*Individual requirements may vary.
Why Food and Nutrition in Business and Industry at TWU?
Expert faculty with contacts to local industry leaders
Many of TWU's nutrition and food sciences faculty worked in the industry prior to teaching and invite professional contact to visit the classroom, allowing you to establish a network and better learn the industry.
Expert faculty include:
- Professor James Adams: Adams worked as a Tyson executive with more than 40 years in the field and brings real-world experiences into the classroom
- Bruce Perkin: Perkin is an independent consultant in the food industry, with activities around the world providing pragmatic advice to the food industry with over 4 decades of experience
At TWU, you have the opportunity to participate in research with faculty in any of the on-campus laboratories. Research possibilities include:
- Examining the effect of berries on bone health and prevention of osteoporosis
- Evaluating the impact of various protein sources on exercise recovery
- Diabetes control
- Influence on parameters involved in the regulation of ovulation
- The effect of dietary fats on neurological behavior and neuroinflammation
Community nutrition options include the development of community education programs and evaluation and design or outreach opportunities.
Established partnerships for internship and job opportunities
Texas Woman's has established relationships with several North Texas-based food companies to bring you connections to internships and job opportunities after graduation. Corporations include:
- Yum Brands
- Pizza Hut
- Valdez Spice
- Ben E. Keith
- Tyson Foods
TWU believes in opening doors for its students
The Career Connections Center on each campus provides advising services and tailored career planning for our students and alumni, from career advising and networking to negotiating a salary after graduation. The Career Center has also implemented Handshake, a unique resume reviewing and job opening database that works to fast-track your job search.
For our budding entrepreneurs, TWU’s Center for Women Entrepreneurs is the state’s only university center dedicated to women’s entrepreneurship and business ownership. The Center provides tools for you to succeed including access to training/coaching, funding, mentoring and networking opportunities.
Find opportunities in both the commercial and non-commercial food service sector, such as:
- Nutrition analysis and labeling
- Food product development
- Food industry management, marketing and sales
- Quality control and assurance
- Food safety
You also have the option of continuing your education and boosting your future earning potential with a TWU graduate degree in nutrition, exercise and sports nutrition or food science and flavor chemistry.
As a full-time student, you can complete the 120-123 required semester credit hours in just four years with:
- 42 hours of Texas core curriculum, which can be transferred from previous programs or community colleges
- 39 hours required for the major
- 42 hours of other required courses and electives, including a minor requirement
- Suggested minors include management, marketing, business administration, human resources, psychology or chemistry
A full list of courses and requirements are available in the course catalog.
When you apply to TWU, we will evaluate your academic achievement and preparation, as well as your standardized test scores. Admission to TWU is valid for four terms, unless you have attended another higher education institution.
Check out the links below for specific admissions information:
- How to apply
- Freshman Student Admissions
- Transfer Student Admissions
- International Student Admissions
- Other Types of Undergraduate Admissions
Questions about the admissions process? Contact the Office of Admissions Processing.
For More Information
Page last updated 12:36 PM, October 12, 2021