B.A.S. in Culinary Science and Food Service Management

The B.A.S. in Culinary Science and Food Service Management and Culinology® certification program combines the art and science of food. As a student in this degree program, you will apply your culinary knowledge to nutrition, food science and research methods. This program was created by TWU in collaboration with community colleges to fulfill the growing demand for research chefs and culinary scientists.

This degree program is offered at our Denton campus.

Careers & Salaries

Earning your Culinary Science and Food Service Management degree and Culinology® certification at TWU allows you to enter the ever-changing food product development and manufacturing industries at a level above your peers. Career opportunities include:

  • Executive chef, research chef or chef scientist
  • Food service administrator in hospitals or schools
  • Food service manager
  • Business owner/entrepreneur

Salaries in these professions vary widely. Payscale.com currently lists a median annual income of $62.000 for executive chefs and $60,000 for food scientists.

Why Culinary Science and Food Service Management at TWU?

TWU offers the only Culinology program in Texas approved by the Research Chefs Association (RCA). Our Culinary Science and Food Service Management degree combines culinary arts with food science training. Upon completion of this program and after passing the exam, you will have associate’s and bachelor’s degrees and RCA’s Culinology certification, making you much more marketable in the food services industry.

Through the stature of this program, we have established business partnerships with internships and job possibilities for our graduates at several North Texas-based food companies, including PepsiCo, Yum Brands, Pizza Hut, Valdez Spice, Ben E. Keith and Tyson Foods.

Program Requirements

This bachelor’s degree program offers a well-rounded, interdisciplinary curriculum that focuses on culinary arts and food science, and also incorporates other elements of food product development, such as business management, nutrition, processing technology and government regulation. You can personalize your degree program through upper-level course electives that target your desired certification as either a research chef or culinary scientist. An internship is built into the degree’s course rotation.

See full program requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog.

As a full-time student, you can complete the coursework for this bachelor’s degree within two years, following successful completion of your A.A.S. Accepted transfer credits depend on which community college you attended to earn your associate’s degree.

Admission Requirements

Undergraduate Admission

When you apply to TWU, we will evaluate your academic achievement and preparation, as well as your standardized test scores. Admission to TWU is valid for four terms, unless you have attended another higher education institution. 

Check out the links below for specific admissions information:

Questions about the admissions process? Contact the Office of Admissions Processing.

Office of Admissions Processing
Texas Woman’s University
P.O. Box 425649
Denton, TX 76204-5649
940-898-3076 or 1-866-809-6130 ext. 3076

For More Information

Sherry Vanatta, M.S., RDN, LD
Undergraduate Advisor

Page last updated 2:51 PM, July 8, 2019