Journalism Minor for English Majors

Are you interested in getting the most out of your degree? As an English major enrolled at Texas Woman’s University, you can now earn a minor in journalism from the Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism at the University of North Texas, the only accredited school of journalism in the state. The combination of a liberal arts major and a journalism-related minor will provide you with the strongest possible foundation for success in the workplace.

Choose your track

Within the journalism minor, you may choose from one of five tracks to be completed at UNT.

  • Broadcast focus
  • News writing/editing focus
  • Photojournalism focus
  • Advertising focus
  • Public relations focus

Learn more about each track's required coursework.

As a TWU student enrolled in the program, you will take the courses for your major on the main TWU campus in Denton. Courses in your minor are offered on the UNT campus in Denton. You will be enrolled at both campuses simultaneously. Information on how to register as a “transient student” and pay appropriate fees at UNT may be obtained from the UNT adviser listed below. You also will need to obtain a valid UNT student ID, plan for parking at UNT, and arrange for public transportation to and from each campus.

Program eligibility

Only current TWU English majors with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better are eligible. Students in the program must earn a C or better in all classes for the minor.

Get advised

  1. Schedule an appointment with TWU Journalism minor advisor, Ashley Bender, PhD, by calling 940-898-2324 or emailing
  2. Next, schedule an advising appointment with Stephanie Garza at UNT by calling 940-565-2205.

Transferring your UNT courses to TWU

TWU advisers cannot see UNT transcripts. You will be responsible for transferring all coursework from UNT to TWU after every semester of enrollment at UNT. There is no charge for having the transcript sent to TWU, so for proper advising, you must do this after every course/semester completed.

How does the program impact financial aid?

While enrolled in our program, you will receive financial aid only from TWU, and you must be enrolled at TWU in order to receive aid. You will work with the TWU Office of Financial Aid and the Office of the Registrar to ensure that your credit hours from UNT count toward total enrolled hours. You also must have a Consortium Agreement Request (available from the TWU Journalism minor adviser) signed at UNT and returned to TWU for hours taken at UNT to be factored into your financial aid needs.

Page last updated 11:20 AM, August 29, 2022