Student FAQ

What's the difference between quarantine and isolation?


You will need to go into quarantine if you have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or someone who is suspected of having COVID-19 and is awaiting test results. Quarantine is meant to keep you away from people in case you start to develop symptoms, which can take up to 14 days. Close contact is defined as being less than six feet away from someone for more than 10 minutes. While you may never experience the COVID-19 symptoms, you must keep yourself separate from others and not leave the space where you are staying. Quarantine periods last 14 days from the date of last exposure to a positive case.


If you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have COVID-19 symptoms and are awaiting test results, you need to be in isolation to keep yourself separate from others for 10 days from the day you first started feeling symptoms or 10 days from the date you were tested if you are asymptomatic. People who are in isolation can go back to normal life after 10 days have passed, their symptoms have improved, and they have had no fever without fever-reducing medication for at least 24 hours.

If you are in isolation or quarantine, you should not leave your residence except to seek medical care.

All TWU affiliated individuals in quarantine or isolation must receive written clearance from Risk Management prior to returning to campus or leaving their residential quarantine or isolation space.

Is TWU still hosting tours or recruiting events?

In the interest of the health and safety of our visitors and the campus community, we are resuming campus tours with modified requirements; please visit the on-campus tour site for more information. Online meetings and events are still available and strongly encouraged. Contact us at with questions.

Are the Dallas & Houston campuses included in university announcements?

Yes, at this point, all guidance is for all three campuses, as well as the Collin Higher Education Center.

Can I get academic accommodations for a medical condition?

Students requesting academic accommodations must register through Disability Support Services. To start the process, email More information is provided on the Disability Services for Students website.

Can student employees continue to work on campus?

Student employees can continue to support projects remotely, based on direction from supervisors. Students who are on work study will receive the amount awarded to them though their financial aid.

If you are a student housing employee (i.e., resident assistant) who works on campus, you are asked to provide appropriate notice to your supervisor should you opt to return home. There will be no financial penalties incurred if you leave your current position.

What if I am feeling sick or think that I have COVID-19?

If you become ill, regardless of if you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or not, please stay home. Contact your health care provider and seek medical attention, as needed.

If any of the following COVID-19 conditions are present, you MUST stay home and notify TWU by completing the COVID-19 Reporting Form. Follow CDC guidelines, as they may evolve, to self-isolate for 14 days.

  • You, someone you live with, or someone you have been in close, prolonged contact with is sick and exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms (can include cough, fever, shortness of breath)
  • You, someone you live with, or someone you have been in close, prolonged contact with is considered a Person Under Investigation (PUI) for COVID-19
  • You, someone you live with, or someone you have been in close, prolonged contact has tested positive or been diagnosed with COVID-19
  • You, someone you live with, or someone you have been in close, prolonged contact has been instructed by public health officials to self-isolate due to COVID-19

Close is generally defined as within 6 feet, and prolonged is any exposure greater than a few minutes, according to the CDC. If any of the situations described above apply to you, complete the COVID-19 Reporting Form. For further information, contact TWU Risk Management.

To assist with self-screening and provide more information for residential students, please read the COVID-19 Self-Screening document.

How can I make tuition payments?

For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Bursar’s Office website.

What is TWU doing for those students in the Educator Preparation Program?

If you are in TWU's Educator Preparation Program, the College of Professional Education has compiled a list of frequently asked questions just for you. Check it out at:

Have more questions?

Contact us at with any questions you have, and we will track down the answer for you.

Page last updated 4:17 PM, September 7, 2021