What is SNAP?
SNAP is a federal food assistance program which qualifying college students can get the following food for FREE:
- Fruits and vegetables;
- Meat, poultry, and fish;
- Dairy products;
- Breads and cereals;
- Other foods such as snack foods and non-alcoholic beverages; and
- Seeds and plants, which produce food for the household to eat.
Students 18-49 can qualify for SNAP if they meet the income guidelines. Student Parents who qualify for SNAP will also qualify for WIC.
|Family Size||Maximum Monthly Income|
|For each additional person, add:||$625|
How to Apply for SNAP
- Complete Application
- Submit the application online at yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/Home
- Or Pick up a paper application from your local SNAP office
(Make sure to upload pay check stubs or other documentation requested on the YourTexasBenefits app)
- Interview with Texas HHS -
- Once you submit the application, you will get a phone interview
- If you missed the appointment, call your local SNAP office to reschedule
- For your interview, prepare to talk about how you are eligible for SNAP as a student
- Make sure to upload pay check stubs or other documentation requested on the YourTexasBenefits app
- You have the right to advocate for yourself, ask questions, and request an appeal if you don’t agree with the decision given.
Need Help Applying for SNAP?
Denton students needing assistance applying for SNAP can request an appointment.
For Additional Assistance:
SNAP Office directly at 1.866.430.6143
SNAP APPOINTMENT REQUEST
Call directly 1.855.719.7627 and the general number for the North Texas Food Bank 214.330.1396
Llame directamente 1.855.719.7627 y el número general del Banco de Alimentos del Norte de Texas 214.330.1396
Call directly 832.369.9390 and the general number for the Houston Food Bank 713.223.3700
Llame directamente al 832.369.9390 y al número general del Houston Food Bank 713.223.3700
Page last updated 7:06 AM, February 27, 2023