Former name: Texas Federation of Colored Women's Clubs
Member of: National Association of Colored Women's Clubs
Date donated: October 15, 1997
The Texas Federation of Colored Women's Clubs was organized in 1905 by Mrs. M. E. Y. Moore in Gainesville, Texas. By forming a federation of independent women's clubs, the aim was to work together to improve the homes and the moral and social life in the communities of Texas. The TAWC adopted the motto of the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs, "Lifting as we Climb."
Texas became part of the Southwest Region under NAWC. This region included eight states: Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. The first elected president was Mrs. R. A. Ransom of Ft. Worth, Texas. Due to illness she was unable to serve as the President.
In 1956, the name of the organization changed to the Texas Association of Women's Clubs. The Federation further organized itself into nine districts for the state of Texas.
Although most of the community improvement efforts were focused at the local club level, a number of impressive state-wide initiatives were directed by the various presidencies of the TAWC. Beginning in 1918, the ladies began campaigning for a state-supported home for delinquent girls, for which the TAWC would donate the land. In 1920, the TAWC purchased land in San Antonio for the home by putting $5500 down on a mortgage with $700 monthly payments. The State of Texas finally approved the project in 1927, but did not provide appropriations until 1945. Eventually the home, the Texas Training School for Negro Girls, located near Crockett, also referred to as the Crockett State School, opened its doors August 25, 1946. The TAWC also purchased the organ for the chapel at the State School.
Additional state projects include scholarships, recommendations to the railroad companies for improved accommodations, and the establishment of Camp McMullen, a campsite for young girls and boys.
State Historical Notes
1905-1908 M.E.Y. Moore. (Gainesville) Texas Federation of Colored Women's Clubs organized in Gainesville, Texas Founder and organizer M. E. Y. Moore became first president. Mrs. Moore resigned in 1908 due ill health.
1908- 1910 Inez C. Scott (Paris) succeeded to presidency.
1910-1916 Mary Alphin (Waco) elected third president. Resigned as president when moved out of state. Ca. 1911? President Alphin initiated the first printed minutes.
1916-1920 Carrie Adams (Beaumont) served as the fourth president. In 1918 Adams laid foundation for home for delinquent girls. The ladies campaigned for many years to establish the home, offering to donate the land.
1920-1922 Ethel Ransom (Fort Worth) elected president. Ten acre tract purchased in San Antonio for home for delinquent girls with $5500 down and $700/month.
1922-1926 Mrs. H. E. Williams (Corsicana) was elected sixth president of the Texas Federation of Colored Women's Annual Review and "The Echoes of the State Federation," published by Carrie P. Hines. She pushed for publication.
1926-1930 A. Elsenia Soders Johnson (Marlin) was elected President. In 1927 Law passed for a Training School for Delinquent Negro Girls. Appealed to the railroad companies for improved accommodations. 1929 Hosted Southwestern Regional Convention of the NAWC in Fort Worth. 1929 Began annual session on the campus of Prairie View College. 1930 Raised funds for operating Student Loan Fund.
1930-1934 Ada Bell Dement (Mineral Wells) became seventh President.
1934-1938 Urissa Christian (Austin) became president. Organized the young women into the “Phyllis Wheatley Department.”
1937 Hosted National Association in Fort Worth, Texas.
1938 Ethel Ransom elected president of the Southwestern Division of the National.
1938-1942 Faustina Bush Brackeen (Fort Worth) elected president. Brackeen recommended selling land in San Antonio and purchasing property between Dallas and Fort Worth.
1942-1946 V. C. Fedford (Galveston) elected 10th president. Camp property forced to move because of military bases surrounding it.
1941 Ada Bell Dement (Mineral Wells) became first Texan elected as National President in Oklahoma City, Okla.
1947-1951 Iola W. Rowan (Dallas) elected President. Final payment on campsite and search instituted for new site.
1951-1955 Athel X. Robertson was selected as President.
1955-1959 Jeffie O. Allen Conner (Waco) elected President. Initiated “The A. X. Robertson Scholarship.” 1955 The camp sold for $27,000. 1957 Donated $5000 to Delinquent Girls’ Training School Chapel at Crockett, Texas. 1958 $500 Donated to the N.A.A.C.P. Freedom fund.
1959-1963 Mrs. Narcissa W. Stokes (San Angelo) became president. A great TAWC Organizer. 1960 The camp for girls was completed in April. The Chapel-Organ Project for the Crockett Training School was completed and the organ installed and ready for dedication on July 11.
1963-1964 Mrs. Della L. Johnson (Waco) was elected President.
1964-1968 Mrs. Myrtle Bledsoe Spencer (Tyler) was elected President. Pushed for continued club expansion.
1968-1972 Mrs. Verdia C. Gratts (Fort Worth) was elected President. Major focus on Camp McMullen.
1972-1976 Mrs. Mable Tyrone (Marlin) was elected President. Focus on Girls Clubs.
1976-1980 Mrs. Essie Lee Person (Big Springs) was elected President. Focus on connection & strengthening of TAWC.
1980-1982 Mrs. Callie Pink (Richmond) was elected President.
1982-1986 Dr. Ruby Morris-Miles (Midland) was elected President. Focus on increase in clubs & club women.
1986-1992 Mrs. Velma Mosley (Georgetown) was elected President. Outstanding services and commitment to Club women.
1992-1996 Mrs. Eleanor H. Jones (Euless) was elected President.
1996-2000 Mrs. Betty Hunter (Greenville) was elected President. Initiated TAWC "Hall of Famers."
2000- Gloria Marquez Jones (Fort Worth) was elected President. Camp McMullen Renovation. Focus on fundraising.