The Texas Federation of Colored Women's Clubs was organized in 1905 by Mrs. M. E. Y. Moore in Gainesville, Texas, in response to the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs excluding black women from membership. By forming a federation of independent women's clubs, the aim was to promote collaborative partnerships to improve the homes and the moral and social life in the communities of Texas. The TAWC adopted the motto of the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs, "Lifting as we Climb" and women from around the state answered Moore’s call for transformation. In 1956 the name changed to the Texas Association of Women's Clubs (TAWC).

About the Archive

The Woman's Collection at Texas Woman's University has served as the state archive for the Texas Association of Women’s Clubs since 1997.  The TAWC collection consists of:

  • Constitutions & By-Laws
  • Minutes
  • Scrapbooks
  • Correspondence
  • News Clippings
  • Membership Directors
  • Convention Reports & Programs
  • Presidential Files
  • District Histories
  • Chapter Histories
  • Membership Biofiles
  • Songs
  • Oral Histories

TAWC Digital Archive

View materials records and photos from TAWC

View the TAWC Digital Archive