What is group therapy?
- Groups are offered on the Denton campus during the fall and spring semesters.
- Groups provide a supportive and stimulating environment for personal growth, relationship building, and skill development.
Groups are organized by topic, commonly including:
- Personal growth
- Overcoming dysfunctional family dynamics
- LGBTQ Issues
- Trauma recovery
- Healthy relationships
- Anxiety management
- Overcoming depression
- Groups typically range in size from 6 to 10 clients and are led by a trained mental health professional.
Who is eligible for group therapy?
- Currently enrolled students are eligible for unlimited group therapy sessions.
- Students may attend group therapy sessions while participating in individual or couples therapy when clinically indicated.
- Depending upon the nature of your concerns, you may be referred to individual therapy or another agency to ensure you receive the most appropriate care.
- CAPS reserves the right to determine if we have adequate resources and expertise to address your particular treatment needs. If your needs cannot adequately or ethically be met by CAPS, we will work with you to secure an appropriate referral.
What is the cost for services?
- Fees for services are already included in students’ previously paid fees. No additional charges are incurred.
What groups are currently offered?
Spring 2020 Groups
11:00 am - 12:30 pm - Graduate Understanding Self & Others - starts February 11
2:30 - 3:30 pm - Relationship Respect: Healthy Relationships - Module 1 starts February 4; Module 2 starts March 24
4:00 - 5:30 pm - Embracing Your Self-Worth - starts February 11
4:30 - 5:30 pm - Coping with Anxiety - Module 1 starts February 4; Module 2 starts March 31
11:00 am - 12:30 pm - I Am First - Starts February 19
12:30 - 2:00 pm - Healing from Family Pain - starts February 12
1:00 - 2:00 pm - Self-Care 101 - Module 1 starts February 5; Module 2 starts April 1
2:30 - 4:00 pm - Understanding Self & Others - starts February 12
4:30 - 5:30 pm - Coping with Anxiety - Module 1 starts February 5; Module 2 starts April 1
1:00 - 2:45 pm - Dungeons & Dragons: For Anxiety & Interpersonal Awareness - starts February 13
2:30 - 4:00 pm - #MeToo: Healing Together - starts February 13
3:00 - 4:00 pm - Coping with Depression - Module 1 starts February 6; Module 2 starts April 2
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Enny Torres at (940) 898-3801.
How do I begin?
- Call or stop by the Denton CAPS location to place your name on the group's referral list.
- A CAPS staff member will contact you to schedule a group intake appointment.
- During the intake appointment, you and a therapist will begin to explore the nature of your concerns and goals. Based on the outcome of this initial assessment, CAPS staff will make a treatment recommendation which may include individual, couples, or group therapy or referral to another campus or community agency.
- If appropriate, you will be referred to a CAPS group; information regarding the time and start date of the group will be provided.
- During peak service times, you may be placed on a waitlist for services. Referrals and options for accessing crisis services will also be provided.
Page last updated 2:37 PM, January 22, 2020