What is group therapy?
- Groups are offered on the Denton campus during the fall and spring semesters.
- Groups provide a supportive and stimulating environment for personal growth, relationship building, and skill development.
Groups are organized by topic, commonly including:
- Personal growth
- Overcoming dysfunctional family dynamics
- LGBTQ Issues
- Trauma recovery
- Healthy relationships
- Anxiety management
- Overcoming depression
- Feel Better Fast Workshops
- Groups typically range in size from 6 to 10 clients and are led by a trained mental health professional.
Who is eligible for group therapy?
- Currently enrolled students are eligible for unlimited group therapy sessions.
- Students may attend group therapy sessions while participating in individual or couples therapy when clinically indicated.
- Depending upon the nature of your concerns, you may be referred to individual therapy or another agency to ensure you receive the most appropriate care.
- CAPS reserves the right to determine if we have adequate resources and expertise to address your particular treatment needs. If your needs cannot adequately or ethically be met by CAPS, we will work with you to secure an appropriate referral.
What is the cost for services?
- Fees for services are already included in students’ previously paid fees. No additional charges are incurred.
What groups are currently offered?*
Mindful Monday - Mondays: 4:00 - 4:45 pm
Beginning September 10, 2018, drop in at the Fit and Rec Studio 3 as needed throughout the Fall Semester
Mondays Beginning September 24, 2018
Understanding Self & Others (USO) - 2:30 - 4:00 pm
Coping with Racial & Ethnic Minority Stress - 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Tuesdays Beginning September 25, 2018
Coping with Depression - 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Coping with Anxiety - 4:30 - 5:30 pm
#MeToo: Healing Together - 4:00 - 5:30 pm
Wednesdays Beginning September 26, 2018
LQBTQIA Therapy Group - 4:00 - 5:30 pm
Coping With Anxiety - 3:00 - 4:00 pm
BeYOUtiful: Body Positivity - 5:00 - 6:00 pm
Thursdays Beginning September 27, 2018
Relationship Respect: Healthy Relationships - 12:30 - 1:30 pm
Fall 2018 Groups for Download (pdf)
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Marshall Bewley at (940) 898-3801 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Times and topics offered Fall 2018
How do I begin?
- Call or stop by the Denton CAPS location to place your name on the group's referral list.
- A CAPS staff member will contact you to schedule a group intake appointment.
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to your group intake appointment to complete intake paperwork.
- In the 30-minute group intake appointment, you and a therapist will begin to explore the nature of your concerns and goals. Based on the outcome of this initial assessment, CAPS staff will make a treatment recommendation which may include individual, couples, or group therapy or referral to another campus or community agency.
- If appropriate, you will be referred to a CAPS group; information regarding the time and start date of the group will be provided.
- During peak service times, you may be placed on a waitlist for services. Referrals and options for accessing crisis services will also be provided.
Page last updated 3:19 PM, September 7, 2018