First-Year Admission Requirements
As a first-year student, you may be admitted under one of the following two categories: Assured Admission or Regular Admission.
Your admission is automatically approved if you meet both of the following:
- Graduated from a regionally accredited Texas high school during the past two years; and
- Ranked in the top 25 percent* of your high school’s graduating class
Although admission to TWU is assured, ACT or SAT scores are required for proper advising, course placement and for scholarship consideration.
*Class ranking is based on the end of 11th grade, middle of 12th grade or at high school graduation, whichever is most recent when the application is reviewed.
You meet the requirements for regular admission if you meet all of the following:
- Graduated from a regionally accredited high school, homeschool program or hold a GED or HiSET* certificate of completion, and
- Earned at least a 2.0 high school grade point average on a 4.0 scale, and
- Ranked in the top 50 percent of your high school graduating class, and
- Met one of these SAT or ACT score requirements: This requirement is temporarily suspended in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- SAT prior to March 2016: 1000 (based on Critical Reading and Math combined)
- SAT after March 2016: 1080 (based on Evidenced Based Reading and Writing, and Math combined)
- ACT: 21 (or above) composite
- Met one of these curriculum requirements:
- Completed or enrolled in the Foundation, Recommended or Distinguished Texas High School Curriculum**, or an International Baccalaureate Program, or
- If attending a private Texas high school or an out-of-state high school, completed or enrolled in a college-prep curriculum as outlined below:
- English (4 semester credit hours)
- Math (3 semester credit hours, including Algebra II)
- Science (3 semester credit hours)
- Social Studies (3 semester credit hours)
- Academic Electives (3 semester credit hours)
If you’ve attended TWU in the past, you may be eligible for readmission under transfer admission requirements.
*GED certificate of completion must reflect a minimum score of 145 on each of the four exams. HiSET certificate completion must reflect a minimum of 8 on each of the five exams; a combined score of 45; and a minimum score of 2 on the Language Arts-Writing essay.
**Changes to the Foundation, Recommended and/or Distinguished Curriculum adopted by the state will be followed by TWU.
Students from Denton ISD or Dallas county school districts may be eligible for admissions promises and scholarships. Learn more about TWU's partnerships with Denton and Dallas county.
Page last updated 2:41 PM, March 27, 2020