Apply for Student Regent
The Student Regent application is subject to disclosure under the Texas Public Information Act. By submitting the form below, the applicant waives any exemption from disclosure afforded by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 12 USC 1232g, with the exception of a Student Identification Number which will be confidential unless otherwise provided by FERPA.
All applicants must also complete the required Appointment Application issued by the Governor of Texas. Each question must be answered on both forms, even where the information required in the Governor’s Appointment Application is duplicated in the Student Regent Application. A resume is required and will be uploaded with the application at the time of submission. Resumes are limited to two pages and should be uploaded in PDF format.
- Student Regent Application (Google form requires TWU email address)
- Governor's Application (pdf)
What is the deadline to apply for the 2023-2024 student regent?
Friday, December 9, 2022
What are the qualifications of the student regent?
At the time of application and throughout the term of appointment, the student regent must:
- Be and remain enrolled at the institution throughout the term as student regent
- Be in "good standing"
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
- Commit to fulfill minimum time commitments
- Have a strong desire to represent all university students
- Preference given to residents of the State of Texas
- Preference given to applicants with a general knowledge of the functions of the Board of Regents
- Displays campus and community involvement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strength of references
- Quality of application
What time commitments are required?
Meeting Attendance. The Board meets minimally four times a year (June, August, November, and February) and rotates the meeting location among the three campuses. The location is subject to change, but the dates are set in advance. The typical Board meeting begins at 10:00 AM and runs through the late afternoon, followed by a dinner. There could be additional meetings depending on special committees or special projects.
Meeting Preparation. Required reading for regularly scheduled meetings is distributed at least two weeks in advance of the Board meeting, if possible.
Training. Eight hours is estimated for training or reading on subjects such as conflict of interest issues, ethics, open meetings, and open records requirement. It may be required for the Student Regent to take the state-mandated training for Board members. The training takes a minimum of one day.
Financial Disclosure. Every member of the Board of Regents is required to file a Personal Financial Disclosure Statement with the Texas Ethics Commission. The time required to file depends on the extent of income and interests. It may be required for the Student Regent to file a disclosure statement.
Review of Regents’ Rules. The Regents’ Rules and Regulations are the policies established by the Board of Regents. Approximately 4-8 hours are required for initial review of those rules. It may be required for the Student Regent to file a disclosure statement.
Review of Mail and Phone Calls. Expect to receive mailings and phone calls regarding Board business that will require your time to address
What is the selection process?
- Call for applications begins in mid-November.
- Mid-January campus interviews will begin for selected applicants.
- Late-January applicants are selected per SGA recommendations and forwarded to the Chancellor.
- By mid-February, two or more recommended applicants will be selected by the Chancellor and recommended to the Governor.
- On or before June 1, the Governor appoints the TWU Student Regent for a one-year term, expiring the following May.
Are expenses reimbursed?
The statute provides that “a student regent serves without compensation but is entitled to be reimbursed for the actual expenses incurred by the student regent in attending the meetings of the board of regents, subject to the approval of the chairman of the board of regents.”
Page last updated 11:25 AM, November 11, 2022