Licensing FAQ

The purpose of having a licensing program enables the university to:

Protect the Brand

  • Help with the trademark registration process
  • Ensure brand integrity
  • Enforce policies and licensing agreements

Promote the Brand

  • Partner with reputable vendors
  • Assist product selection and approval

Benefit from the Brand

  • Generate revenue to support TWU students
  • Grow merchandise sales


What qualifies as a trademark, logo or symbol?

Any mark, name, logo, symbol, nickname, abbreviation, word, mascot, slogan, insignia uniform or landmarks that are associated with TWU and distinguishable from those of other universities, teams or organizations.

Who must be licensed?

Any individual or company that wants to use any of TWU's trademarks or logos on products or for services for any other commercial purpose must have a license prior to production and distribution. This includes businesses that sell to university departments, campus organizations and student organizations that use the product for fundraising and charity. 

Texas Woman's University trademark use in the traditional news media treated as news is not subject to licensing fees.

What is a licensee?

A licensee is a person, company or organization who has been granted the right, under legal agreement, to use TWU's trademarks.

Do I have to submit art for approval?

Licensees will submit artwork through CLC's BrandManager online system. 

How can I tell if a product is officially licensed?

After July 1, 2018, look for the "Officially Licensed Collegiate Product" label or hologram. Retail licensees are required to include the graphic, hangtag or holographic sticker with each licensed product on new inventory (does not apply to existing inventory). This serves as a notice to consumers that the merchandise is approved for sale by the university. 

What products will not be licensed?

TWU will not license activity that it believes would disparage the university or any of its trademarks or would be libelous, slanderous, scandalous, offensive, vulgar or constitute an unfair trade practice, or otherwise reflect negatively on the university.

How can I become licensed?

Licensing is handled through the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). Complete the application to start the licensing process.

Page last updated 11:14 AM, January 18, 2023