The Jane Nelson Institute for Women’s Leadership is headquartered on the Texas Woman's University Denton campus in historic Old Main, constructed in 1903.
The university renovated the entrance level of the building to house the institute’s administration and three centers—Center for Student Leadership, Center for Women Entrepreneurs and Center for Women in Politics & Public Policy.
Guests can check in at the reception area in Room 256.
Guests to the Jane Nelson Institute for Women's Leadership are greeted by Winged Victory. The original Winged Victory of Samothrace was erected in the early second century BCE during the Hellenistic art period (323 BCE - 31 CE) and depicts the Greek goddess of Victory, Nike. The statue was one of many at the Sanctuary of the Great Gods on the island of Samothrace and is currently on display in the Louvre in Paris, France.
This reproduction is a replacement of the original reproduction given by the College of Industrial Arts class of 1929 to commemorate Armistice Day and the defeat of autocracy. The first replica, a victim of years of exposure and finally vandalism, was replaced in 1982 after an alumna initiated fund drive. This new reproduction was purchased from the Louvre and shipped from Paris.
Nancy P. and Thaddeus E. Paup generously funded the restoration of Winged Victory.
Page last updated 8:55 AM, January 25, 2022