The TWU College of Professional Education (COPE) has built online opportunities covering a multitude of programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. We have partnered with community colleges across Texas to provide the best opportunity for a completely online path to bachelor's degrees in Education or Child Development.
Make a seamless transition from your associate's degree to pursing a career in K-12 education, early childhood intervention, childhood advocacy and more with a Bachelor of Science or pursue a master's online from Texas Woman's University.
Don't miss out on our Information Sessions for Houston-area students.
Tuesday, March 4: 5 - 6:30 p.m. CST
Seven Ways TWU Supports You
TWU is one of the most affordable in the state.
|University||Yearly Cost of Tuition^|
|University of North Texas||$11,296|
|Texas Tech University||$11,600|
|Texas State University||$11,251|
|University of Houston||$11,274|
|University of Texas||$10,686|
|Texas Christian Univeristy||$40,720|
^15 hours per semester
*Includes a $2,000 transfer scholarship available to eligible students
2. Online and Traditional Options
COPE built these programs to meet YOU where YOU are. If you transfer from a community college, both the BS in Education and BS in Child Development are entirely online. Complete your student teaching and field experience hours wherever you are.
There are many routes to certification at TWU.
- Elementary Education (EC-6)
- Middle School Education (4-8)
- High School Education (Content Area Specialization)
Plus earn additional certifications in programs that stand out across the state.
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Special Education
- Bilingual Education
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing
3. Faculty Advisors
Once you are accepted into the Teacher Education program at TWU, you are assigned a faculty advisor who takes your success seriously! Your faculty advisor assists you along the way and helps you navigate through the certification process.
Advisors can help with transfer credits. Our programs have been set up to accept a large number of transfer credits to make it easier for students to transition from a community college.
We are also work-force friendly.
4. Emergent Technologies & TeachLIVE
TWU was the first university in Texas to offer TeachLive, which offers the chance to practice teaching and classroom management techniques and strategies in a safe environment.
There are also bilingual avatars that allow you to practice using ESL strategies. For those wanting to be a Bilingual Teacher, this is a great opportunity to practice academic Spanish.
- Instructional Strategies
- Classroom Management
- ESL Strategies
- Bilingual Avatars
- Adult Avatars
Why adult avatars? This gives you chances to work with parents, creating a great way to expand your knowledge of working with adults and children in a structured setting to improve your practice before you go into the classroom.
5. Engagement Outside the Classroom
TWU offers many opportunities to engage with children, parents, and learning opportunities outside the TWU classroom.
Barnes and Noble Community Reading Program
- This is conducted once a month during the school year and once a week during the summer. Work with a community partner to practice instructional pedagogy and classroom management techniques while engaging children in an unstructured setting with parents present.
New Teacher Academy
- TWU offers our students experience after graduation, including our New Teacher Academy. This is a time when we bring teacher candidates back to campus after graduation for additional professional development opportunities.
- We also offer undergraduate research opportunities and networking that is unmatched. Students attend local, regional, national and international conferences to present faculty-sponsored research.
6. TExES PREP Center
The TExES PREP Center offers many resources to assist students in preparing for certification exams:
- Workshops for test preparation
- Subject area books that can be checked out
- Practice tests
- Faculty Assistance
You can count on being prepared for all state-mandated exams for your degree. We want you to feel confident in your instructional knowledge prior to taking state exams.
7. Grants and Scholarship Opportunities
TWU faculty have sought over $5 million in grants to support students.
Grants and scholarships include:
Along with other TWU-endowed scholarships, there is also a guaranteed transfer scholarship of $2,000 a year based on having and keeping a good GPA.
Page last updated 11:19 AM, March 5, 2021