Features and Updates
After 20 years of service, TWU’s current phone system will be taking a much deserved retirement! In its place, IT Solutions will begin to leverage Unified Communications by rolling out RingCentral to all faculty and staff across all three campuses. The rollout is currently scheduled to take place during the spring semester of 2021. Stay tuned to this website for the latest status and information.
What is RingCentral?
RingCentral is a fully cloud-based unified communication solution that provides both traditional telephony services, as well as modern features and capabilities necessary to foster and enable collaboration. These are some of the features and capabilities faculty and staff can look forward to.
- New VoIP-based desk phone with soft keys to set personal status, monitor extensions, and park, hold, or transfer calls.
- New softphone (i.e. desktop app) allows you to make and receive calls using your TWU number from any laptop/desktop or mobile device
- Visually manage and listen to voicemail and easily return a call
- Long distance dialing included means no more 7 digit long distance codes
- Work from Anywhere - Call Flipping to transfer calls from your deskphone to your cell phone when you have to leave your desk
- Collaborate Seamlessly - Ring groups and call queues can help bridge on-campus and teleworking teams by ringing a group of phone numbers simultaneously or sequentially
- Live reports and call analytics now allow for real time pinpointing of RingCentral call quality issues whether on home wireless, on-campus or cellphone 4G/5G
We encourage faculty and staff to begin exploring these new modalities of communication and collaboration through this short introductory video.
See how it works.
RingCentral Rollout and Project Timeline
Due to the challenges brought upon by the pandemic, and the uniqueness and associated complexities of each campus, IT Solutions is taking a risk-reducing, lessons-learned approach as part of the deployment strategy. RingCentral will be initially deployed to the Dallas campus, followed up by the Houston campus, and finally the Denton campus.
IT Solutions staff are working together with RingCentral’s professional engineering team to make the necessary setup and configuration a seamless transition. IT Solution strives to reduce any impacts during this service transition. ITS staff will be pre-staging and placing the new replacement desk phones* next to the existing desk phone.
Each campus will have its own “Go-Live” or cutover date, when all the applicable TWU phone lines will be transferred from our existing carrier to RingCentral. ITS staff will be onsite during the cutover to minimize and address any impacts.
* Important note - Although the new desk phones may appear to be turned on, these new phones will not have service until the cutover date. Emergency services and 911 calls will not be available from these phones until the service is activated. In case of an emergency, callers will need to use the existing deskphone, cellphone, or red emergency phones.
Go-Live Cutover Dates for each campus
- Dallas - Jan 27th
- Houston - April 26th
- Denton - August 2 and September 27 (planned)
IT Solutions has created and compiled customized training and resources for TWU faculty and staff to quickly acclimate and discover the features of RingCentral. Faculty and staff should review the following resources and/or attend one of the upcoming scheduled training sessions.
Quick Start Guides and Articles
- TWU RingCentral Desktop App Quick Start Guide
- Polycom VVX 150/250 and VVX 450 Desk Phone Quick Start Guides
- RingCentral Knowledge Base articles for additional information
- Getting Started with RingCentral
- Set Up Greetings & Hold Music
- RingCentral App for Desktop: Transfer a Call
- Getting Started with Poly VVX 150 Desk Phone
- Getting Started with Poly VVX 250 Desk Phone (most common)
- Getting Started with Poly VVX 450 Desk Phone
Upcoming Training Schedule
(focused per campus, but all sessions are open - please join a session using the links below)
Information Sessions/Open Houses Informal & brief session to learn about activating and customizing RingCentral before go-live (meeting link for all dates/times)
July 29 - 9:30 am | 10:00 am | 10:30 am | 2:00 pm | 2:30 pm | 3:00 pm
July 30 - 2:00 pm | 2:30 pm | 3:00 pm
Missed the session? Check out the slides!
Training Sessions Presentation-driven overview of RingCentral, app use, desk phone use, and customization needs (meeting link for all dates/times)
August 2 - 10:00-10:45 am | 2:00-2:45 pm | 3:00-3:45 pm
August 3 - 10:00-10:45 am | 11:00-11:45 am
August 4 - 10:00-10:45 am
Missed the session? Check out the slides!
Page last updated 11:31 AM, July 26, 2021