Features and Updates
Google Storage Changes
In an announcement earlier this calendar year, Google notified their education customers that they are changing the rules regarding storage for their Google Workspace for Education product line to no longer include unlimited storage space. Although Google has traditionally offered unlimited storage for free to its education customers, this model has become unsustainable with the rapid acceleration in growth of stored data. In the coming months, Google will shift from unlimited storage to a pooled storage model for Google Workspace for Education customers.
This shift in strategy by Google means that Texas Woman's will need to reduce its overall storage consumption across Gmail, Google Drive (both My Drive and Shared Drives), and Google Photos in the twu.edu Google domain over the next several months.
It is all of our responsibility to adhere to Records Retention Schedules and manage our files across our shared resources. IT Solutions (ITS) is working closely with Google to ensure we have the tools and resources necessary to help us make this transition as smooth as possible.
ITS will be communicating soon with users and departments across our campuses who are using significantly more storage as compared to the average in our domain to understand their needs and work with them to clean up old and unneeded files and data. ITS will continue to share information and answer questions as this project progresses. In the meantime, if you’re interested in seeing how much storage you’re using with your TWU Google account, or to find out how to reduce your overall storage usage, you can review this knowledge base article.
After 20 years of service, TWU’s current phone system will be taking a much deserved retirement! In its place, IT Solutions will begin to leverage Unified Communications by rolling out RingCentral to all faculty and staff across all three campuses. The rollout is currently scheduled to take place during the spring semester of 2021. Stay tuned to this website for the latest status and information.
What is RingCentral?
RingCentral is a fully cloud-based unified communication solution that provides both traditional telephony services, as well as modern features and capabilities necessary to foster and enable collaboration. These are some of the features and capabilities faculty and staff can look forward to.
- New VoIP-based desk phone with soft keys to set personal status, monitor extensions, and park, hold, or transfer calls.
- New softphone (i.e. desktop app) allows you to make and receive calls using your TWU number from any laptop/desktop or mobile device
- Visually manage and listen to voicemail and easily return a call
- Long distance dialing included means no more 7 digit long distance codes
- Work from Anywhere - Call Flipping to transfer calls from your deskphone to your cell phone when you have to leave your desk
- Collaborate Seamlessly - Ring groups and call queues can help bridge on-campus and teleworking teams by ringing a group of phone numbers simultaneously or sequentially
- Live reports and call analytics now allow for real time pinpointing of RingCentral call quality issues whether on home wireless, on-campus or cellphone 4G/5G
We encourage faculty and staff to begin exploring these new modalities of communication and collaboration through this short introductory video.
See how it works.
IT Solutions has created and compiled customized training and resources for TWU faculty and staff to quickly acclimate and discover the features of RingCentral. Faculty and staff should review the following resources.
Quick Start Guides and Articles
- TWU RingCentral Desktop App Quick Start Guide
- Polycom VVX 150/250 and VVX 450 Desk Phone Quick Start Guides
- Getting Started with RingCentral Slides
- RingCentral Bridge training (quick and quiz-free)
- RingCentral Knowledge Base articles for additional information
Page last updated 1:27 PM, June 1, 2022