Frequently Asked Questions

MA in Sociology

My bachelor's degree is not in sociology. Can I still be admitted into your MA program?

Yes. We consider promising students with a bachelor’s degree in other fields. Quite a few of our current students have a degree from other disciplines.

What are the deadlines for application?

We have a rolling admission system as we admit graduate students all year long in fall, spring, and summer. However, our preferred deadlines are as follows:

  • June 15 for fall semester
  • November 15 for spring semester
  • March 15 for summer

Applicants interested in our departmental Graduate Assistantships should submit their application earlier by March 15 for the fall semester and by October 15 for the spring semester.

Deadlines for international students are as follows:


  • Preferred deadline: February 1
  • Final deadline: March 1


  • Preferred deadline: March 1
  • Final deadline: May 1


  • Preferred deadline: July 1
  • Final deadline: October 1

Where do I submit my graduate application?

You must submit your Graduate Application Online through Texas Common Application at

What other application materials are required?

The following materials should be sent to:

TWU Office of Admissions Processing, P.O. Box 425649, Denton, TX 76204

  • Official transcripts of all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework from each college attended
  • GRE scores (recommended but not required)
  • Graduate application fee of $50
  • Application for Assistantship (if desired)

In addition, the following materials should be sent to:

Paul Bones, PhD
Director of Graduate Programs
1315 N. Bell St, CFO 605, Denton, TX 76201

  • Two (2) letters of recommendation
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • A statement of purpose (2-3 pages)

Is the GRE required?

No, but recommended.

What is the minimum GRE score required for admission?

There is no minimum GRE score required.

My GRE scores are not very high. Should I still apply?


Can I waive the TOEFL?

The TOEFL can be waived if one of the following conditions is met: 1. You are from a country where English is the primary language of instruction and is the language spoken at home and by the indigenous population. 2. You have earned a degree from an accredited U.S. college or university. 3. You submit a satisfactory GRE verbal score (500 or higher), GMAT (50th percentile or higher), or a satisfactory score on one of the other tests accepted by the Graduate School.

I submitted most of my application materials, but a few items are still missing. Will my application be considered?

No. If any of the required application materials is missing, the Admissions Office will not send your application packet to the department for consideration.

What areas of training do you offer?

In addition to Sociological Theory, Research Methods, and Statistics, our areas of specialization include Race and Ethnic Relations, Social Inequality, Migration/Immigration, Criminology/Criminal Justice, Social Psychology, Medical Sociology, Sociology of Religion, Sociology of Culture, and Urban and Community Sociology.

When are your classes offered?

Our classes are normally offered in evenings (6:00-8:50) or late afternoons (2:30-5:20) during weekdays.

Do you offer online and hybrid classes?

We currently offer quite a few online or hybrid classes. More online or hybrid classes are offered during summers. Online courses are also available at other schools of the Federation of North Texas Area Universities.

Can I get my MA degree totally online?

We are in the process of starting a totally online MA program in sociology, which is expected to kick off in fall 2020. You may start the application in the spring semester of 2020. Please watch the update on our website.

How many credit hours can be transferred from another accredited institution to TWU for the MA degree in sociology?

Six credit hours.

Do you offer financial support?

Yes. We offer graduate assistantships to outstanding students who have been accepted into the M.A. program. The graduate assistantship includes a monthly stipend, health insurance, and an out-of-state tuition waiver for the time of employment. Some research assistantships are available from faculty members who have research grants. In addition, the department offers some scholarships; please visit our Scholarships page for details. Furthermore, the University provides TWU Graduate Student Scholarship GM and other scholarships to qualified students. Please visit the TWU Financial Aid page to learn more.

When are the deadlines for the application of teaching assistantships?

October 15 and March 15. Visit the Graduate School Assistantships page to download the application form. You can submit the completed application to the Graduate Program Director or together with your application for admission.

When is the deadline for the application of departmental scholarships?

March 15.

Is financial assistance available for international students?

Yes. International students can apply for graduate teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and departmental scholarships. International students are strongly encouraged to provide financial support for themselves through other sources, especially for the first year. While they are not qualified for financial aid, international students are qualified to apply for TWU Graduate Student Scholarship GM and TWU International Student Scholarship. Please visit the TWU Financial Aid page for further details. They can also seek on-campus employment.

What is important to the admission committee?

The committee considers the whole record of each applicant rather than just one single indicator. Statement of purpose, recommendation letters, and GPA are among the most important factors to consider.

When can I expect to hear from you about my application?

Once your application file is complete, you will receive a notification from the Graduate School normally within one month. You can also check your application status online through However, for international students from non-English-speaking countries, the process is much longer because of the need to translate foreign documents and to do the equivalency evaluation of transcripts and degrees by the Office of International Education.

Do you offer a master’s degree in social work?

A Joint MSW degree is offered by the Social Work Program. Please visit the TWU-UNT JMSW page to learn more.

Page last updated 5:04 PM, February 22, 2024