Counseling and Family Therapy Clinic
The TWU Counseling and Family Therapy Clinic, housed within the Department of Family Sciences in Woodcock Hall, provides low-cost counseling for adults and children. We provide family, couple, groups, and individual services. We also offer play therapy for children ages 3-11 and expressive arts therapy for adolescents and adults. The clinic staff consists of graduate students from two disciplines, Family Therapy and Counseling and Development, who are being trained to deliver therapy to assist clients in resolving a variety of issues.
Our primary mission is to work with individuals, couples, families and groups toward the meaningful resolutions of the problems these individuals are facing. The clinic provides an atmosphere of respect and dignity where each individual and family can be served. Our student therapists work with each family and individual client to create practical and effective ways of solving the client’s concerns, issues and problems. Clinic staff, managers and assistants are available to answer questions and work through client concerns. The clinic director and faculty associated with the clinic are licensed professionals in counseling and development, family therapy, and psychology.
All services and records are handled with strict confidentiality to protect all clients using the clinic’s services. Reports or information will be released only after the clinic manager or director obtains written permission from each adult client involved in the counseling process, in accordance with Texas law.
Limits to confidentiality include:
- Disclosure of child abuse and/or neglect
- Disclosure of elderly abuse and/or neglect
- If we are subpoenaed by a court
- Disclosure of abuse from a mental health care professional
- If you disclose that you are a harm to yourself and/or others i.e. suicidal ideation & homicidal ideation
Potential Benefits and Potential Risks of Counseling
- Increased self-awareness and awareness of own choices in one’s life, relationships, etc.
- Psychoeducation/insight on psychological or behavioral issues or patterns of interaction
- Opportunities to develop and practice new skills in a supportive environment
- Support in reaching personal goals
- Remembering or discussing difficult experiences
- Experiencing intense emotions
Page last updated 9:16 AM, July 3, 2019